Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice Representation of UCC Arts Students In The Times

Options
  • 20-09-2010 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭

Conor: I am doing an Arts degree is UCC studying economics and politics. College life is short so I’ve been making the most of it. You really develop as a person. I am a lot more confident than I used to be and that’s from being involved in a load of different societies.

Conor: There is a stigma about Arts students; that we don’t turn up to lectures and I’d be the first to admit I go to very few. But you don’t necessarily have to go to all your lectures to get a good degree. I failed my exams last year so I am repeating. I think tutorials are more important than lectures. I’ve never had a “golden week” where you attend all of your lectures, tutorials and seminars.

Conor: I think if people had to pay for their degree, even if they paid for it after they start working, people would be more appreciative of their education. Also, if there were fees, you wouldn’t have the registration tax. It’s around €1,700 when you register. Because I failed last year, my parents told me to feck off and pay it myself, which was fair enough.

Conor: There are a lot of stereotypes of loutish student behaviour and I think it’s only going to get worse. Students have a lot less money now and a lot of them are drinking at home, which is less expensive than pubs or nightclubs. They go to the off-licence and bring home naggins and shoulders of vodka and they go mad. Last week in Cork, there were three parties in three different houses on College Road and they merged into one party and the gardaí were called. In the main, students are good natured, they want to have a good time but they don’t want to upset the people around them.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2010/0920/1224279261450.html

I've shown this to a few people I know who are also Arts students in UCC. They were none too pleased along with myself. Surely, all this does is further the stereotype that Arts students do nothing? Maybe there are idiots and dossers but i'm quite annoyed at how the above clown portrays those of us who actually do work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

He might be unrepresentative of some Arts students, myself included, but that doesn't mean he's unrepresentative full stop, as you've acknowledged. I certainly don't object to a newspaper reporting the truth. And the chap in question never claimed to be representing anything other than his own experience, in the event.

Certainly, he's an example of the fact that grading and examination in Arts remains robust - he didn't put in the effort and has clearly suffered. The system works: that's what I derived from it.

And the folks who moan about Arts 'wasters' are usually the same gob****es who talk of the ORB being difficult to navigate (yeah, but us idiots in Arts manage it just fine everyday as a very basic task.) In short, those that would make a generalisation on foot of this article are not a very reasonable constituency anyway. I wouldn't try courting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Fair enough he's talking about himself but in passing readers will think that most students especially Arts are like that. However stuff like: you don't have to go to all lectures etc. make us look like half time slackers.

Guy's an absolute idiot imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Fabio

He says he failed a year...........I wonder why?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 curlynettie

"There is a stigma about Arts students; that we don’t turn up to lectures and I’d be the first to admit I go to very few. But you don’t necessarily have to go to all your lectures to get a good degree. I failed my exams last year so I am repeating. "

i put this on my facebook when i saw it during the week :D:D
    classic :pac:
    (..former arts student lol)
    the times isnt quite the place for it though!!

Advertisement