Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data recovery on HFS+

Options
  • 20-09-2010 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

Very strange and unexpected, but Time Machine deleted a very old backup which I made before I rebuilt my MBP. It's got four years' worth of stuff on it. I had understood it would leave this backup alone, but I guess I was wrong.

Are there any ways to recover this data? Three years of photos down the drain (though I do have backup backups) at home.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If TM thought the backup was from the same machine (i.e. when you did a clean install you gave the computer the same name), then yeah it will delete old backups once it runs out of space. If the backup had a different computer name then it should leave it alone.

You'll need a recovery application, such as Data Rescue, File Salvage, etc. I don't know of any that are free, however. If you have another backup somewhere you'd probably be better using that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

I've used ProSoft "Data rescue" successfully, although all file names were lost and reverted to sequential numbering! However, if you've allowed Time Machine to overwrite the existing files (probable) then you won't recover much at all.

Advertisement