Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Help?

Options
  • 20-09-2010 2:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I've asked a question like this before but I didn't explain everything in it.
    So here it goes. I'm in 6th Year now and I'm slightly panicking about this year and the Leaving Cert itself. I missed a lot of time in 5th Year(personal reasons) and now I'm very behind. I've tried catching up as much as I can but it's impossible. I've tried asking friends for some of the work but no offense to them but they're just not great students, which now means I'm slightly screwed so far as knowing what kind of stuff we've covered. I've asked the teahcers but they told me to get the stuff of the people in the class and well it's like I'm going around in circles.
    So I really really want to get a good Leaving Cert and I know I can do it if I catch up so what exactly should or can I do?
    Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

Forget last year and out the work in this year. Teahers will have to revise stuff done last year to jog peoples memory so just do your best when that happens.

No point worrying about what you did/didn't miss last year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You could move to 5th year.

Seriously, if you missed a large amount of time, move to allow yourself time and get rid of the stress. Your school should have suggested this if you missed a large amount of 5th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 DubzSon

@Keano! I'll still miss out on some stuff, e.g. English Poetry, certain German oral work, etc.
    @spurious They did and I said I'd do 6th Year thinking I could catch up or at least have some friends help but it didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

Forget about trying to catch up. Break each subject down into sections. You are going to have to paddle your own canoe. Looks like you won't get any help from your class or teachers. Follow the class as in homework but start doing exam questions for the parts you missed. You are going to have to take an educated guess as to what parts you missed. I see from your other posts you are hoping to study psychology in UL. That's over 500 points so a lot of pressure. Look at options on your CAO with less points eg you can study psychology (with some restrictions on entry to second year if you don't do well enough in first year exams) through Arts which is less than 400 points.

If you don't get what you want in August you can always repeat. The english course will be the same in terms of Hamlet and a lot of the comparatives. 4 of the poets (Boland, Frost, Kavangh and Rich) from 2011 will be on 2012 also. In 2012 you will have a more student friendly irish course. You may find project maths easier too.

I always think repeating the leaving cert is a better option to repeating 5th year. The experience of sitting the actual leaving cert is a great benefit second time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

DubzSon wrote: »
    @Keano! I'll still miss out on some stuff, e.g. English Poetry, certain German oral work, etc.
    @spurious They did and I said I'd do 6th Year thinking I could catch up or at least have some friends help but it didn't happen.

It wouldn't be too late to go back to fifth year and take the pressure off yourself. Would you consider seeing if you can still move back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 DubzSon

@realstudypass thanks alot that really helps! Thanks!
    @rainbowtrout yeah I would really consider it, I am actually considering it at the moment but I guess I'll just see how I go from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

DubzSon wrote: »
    @realstudypass thanks alot that really helps! Thanks!
    @rainbowtrout yeah I would really consider it, I am actually considering it at the moment but I guess I'll just see how I go from now on.

Well that's great, just don't leave it too long and if there's a course change (English poetry, drama etc, Project Maths starting for fifth years) that you end up behind the class again because you were in with the leaving certs

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I repeated 5th year because I missed so much the first time due to personal reasons as well, and it was honestly the best decision I ever made. It's a lot better than having to turn around and repeat 6th!

If repeating isn't an option for whatever reason, just take everything slowly. Keep up with all your 6th year work, and do a bit a little bit of 5th year work in the evenings. You have a whole year- you'll be grand! :)

Advertisement