Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DIT Smartphone App

• 19-09-2010 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭

DIT has launched a free Smartphone application (app) that gives students practical information right to their phone. Students can check their e-mail, view webcourses material; check the library database; check the module catalogue; and find out about news and events happening on campus. DIT is the first HEI in Ireland to release a smartphone app aimed at students and staff.

You can watch a short video of the app in action here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5T62VSnY-s

The app is available for the iPhone, iTouch and android smartphones and if you have a compatible phone it can be downloaded from the relevant app store / android market. Simply search for “DIT”. The app will also be available on the Bada platform (Samsung apps) thanks to the support of Samsung Ireland.

Been trying out most of the features.
    Web courses tells me the application cannot load the page, there's an issue with the email, in that I can't read the far right side of my emails, as it's cutting off a few characters. Also the email login ideally could remember your username/password.

Other than that it seems pretty solid and easy to use. A lot of it is website based, but the mapping, news, regulations and media sections are pretty useful, especially for new students.

Generally a good start, but needs quite a bit of work in my opinion. I intend to use it, as long as it's actually developed properly.

If you've tried it, what did you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

They should compile it for Maemo 5...for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kirving

I think it's very poor that they didn't bother releasing it for Symbian, since it has more than twice the user base than iPhone.
    (American statistic)

Still though, I think it relevant as more people here would use Symbian. I am biased though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Does it work on HTC phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

Voltwad wrote: »
    Does it work on HTC phones?

it works on android if that is what you mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭.DarDarBinks

Good idea although it is just taking things directly off the website, there is minor fault with it as you have mentioned but overall I am happy with it,

btw id love if they made the home icon transparent instead of that horrible white square, all my other apps have it so why not the DIT app

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭campuslife

I think it's very poor that they didn't bother releasing it for Symbian, since it has more than twice the user base than iPhone.
    (American statistic)

Still though, I think it relevant as more people here would use Symbian.

Hi everyone,

Many thanks for that feedback. It's just the first version that has been released so far, and it's been released on iPhone and Android already. Samsung Apps version (Bada) should come out this week. We're also in discussions with Nokia and we're very hopeful that they'll support the development of a Symbian version. Kevin's quite right, we do have more symbian users at the moment.

We're meeting with the developers soon, to give them feedback from this first version. We're also hopeful that in future versions, the user experience for the Library database and Webcourses will improve as those applications are adapted for mobile users.

The feedback from users is very valuable, so please keep it up! If you want to be particularly brutal it might be better if you PM me or e-mail me on campuslife@dit.ie ! Thanks,
    Brian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Aungier street is spelt wrong in the wifi-locator section :pac:

it's an ok app, basically just the web site wrapped up in an app, couple of bookmarks and you have the same thing on any mobile browser.

Advertisement