Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bayonet

Options
  • 19-09-2010 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,picked this bayonet up at a market in France recently,I'm wondering if any experts here could tell it's origin. I've checked out the world Bayonets site for the obvious, UK, German, French but it didn't click. Blade is approx 11 inches, the handle 4, if it had a grip of any kind it's long gone. Quite old and slightly rusty,blade still sharpish. I'm hoping it's WW1, I have a wreck of an old Lee enfield and it's doesn't fit, so I think that rules out the brits?
    [IMG][/img]img0992w.jpg[img0994u.jpgimg0993ci.jpg

[IMG][/img]img0996s.jpgimg0995t.jpg

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Its not British anyway thats for sure. To me it looks like an all metal German 'Ersatz' (substitute) bayonet from the early years of WW1, made to equip the army before large amounts of proper 'regulation' bayonets could be manufactured and supplied! ;) Given that these type bayonets were made by many manufacturers and workshops there will be A. a large number of variations and B. no manufacturers markings.

Have a look through the site below, a few there that look similar to yours.

http://www.old-smithy.info/bayonets/German%20Ersatz.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

The Spanish have a love for these bolo bayonets for some reason, perhaps it is one of their variants?
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Thanks lads, the EB3 from your link CB1798 seems to be almost exactly the same, apart from the blade measurement, 317mm as opposed to approx 290mm for mine,it could of course have been used,sharpened and worn over the years.
    Germany%20Ersatz1.jpg
    Well thats made my day, thanks for the help,most appreciated :D

Advertisement