Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 Packs, do they make it harder?

Options
  • 19-09-2010 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭

I got my last thread locked by giving out too much so I'll be to the point here.

Do you think that the ban on 10 packs makes it harder to quit?

I can go a few days off the fags, but one day, I will get the craving, bad, and need one. My only option (bar the nicorette stuff) is to buy a pack of 20.

You end up smoking 5 or 6 that day! The next day, you just smoke them cause you have them.

Do you think it is harder? I try to just ask for cigs lately to have less of them, but you look bad then.

Would the ability to buy singles help? Imagine paying 50 cent and having one ciggy, I'd smoke it and go home, any cravings would be much less and not worth going to the shop for.

What do you think?

My analogy is an alcoholic forbidden a pint but offered a litre of vodka instead. It makes no sense seeing as the government is supposed to be helping people quit. I am struggling away and havn't smoked in 2 days now, we'll see how I do tomorrow, I don't want to buy a full pack.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

It was introduced to stop people from taking it up, not to help people quit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Subtle Troll

It was introduced to stop people from taking it up, not to help people quit

I heard that one, but you start smoking from being in pubs, from being offered cigarettes, the logic doesn't hold up at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I heard that one, but you start smoking from being in pubs, from being offered cigarettes, the logic doesn't hold up at all.

A mate of mine scabs cigs on a night out. Will have around 4/5. If 10 packs were on sale he'd prob buy a pack going out and end up smoking the 5/6 leftovers the next day. He's not willing to buy a 20 pack cause it is 8/9euro or whatever

When I smoked I smoked rollies but occasionally would get a 10 pack(this was in northern ireland where they're available) If the shop that sold them wasn't open i'd never bother getting a 20pack at the bar.

For a lot of people the cost of a 20 pack makes them not bother and breaks the cycle of turning social smoking into constant smoking.

If you don't smoke much, yes the 10 pack ban will invariably lead you to smoke slightly more, but the net gain of stopping new people from taking it up is worthwhile imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sandi24

Read Allen carr easy way to stop smoking.Read it having a 20 a day addiction and no real hope of stopping .off them 2 months now.Cant believe it no cravings really.Hes right what he says in the book that it is fear that stops us from stopping smoking.

I kinda like smoking, I will miss not having them, but the coughs and bad health are really putting me off them now, I don't enjoy being an addict either.

The 10 versus 20 debate could go on but I know I was a smoker before I was buying them myself, and the price isn't a huge amount when you have them over a week, I do smoke as little as possible lately and never did the 20 a day routine.

But I think its more likely that you start smoking, pubs and all, hang out with smokers, take a fag, then buy a pack yourself, 10-20 doesn't matter, and you make em last longer.

My problem is giving up and just needing a small dose, one or two, but I cant get that, and buy a full 20 pack, miserable, and smoke 5 that day, having had 1-2 a day up to that or sometimes none a day.

Habit too is part of it, but the habit is breaking with me, its the craving makes me buy the 20, and having 20 to smoke reinforces habit AND the addiction.

I will keep trying, maybe I wont smoke tomorrow or may have 1-2 off a friend in the evening, that would be ok and I wouldnt feel bad bout having a pack on hand when im bored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

The 10 packs were banned to stop children buying them - I know this probably does not work in practice but that was the idea.

I know someone will say, sure you have to be over 18 to buy fags, I know that - but in reality kids can buy fags a drink in a lot of places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leshogan

buy 20, smoke 1, bin 19

if each smoke costs you €9, wont be long b4 u stop

leshogan wrote: »
    buy 20, smoke 1, bin 19

if each smoke costs you €9, wont be long b4 u stop

LOL, I wont be long in food or clothes if I did that!
    murphym7 wrote: »
    The 10 packs were banned to stop children buying them - I know this probably does not work in practice but that was the idea.

I know someone will say, sure you have to be over 18 to buy fags, I know that - but in reality kids can buy fags a drink in a lot of places.

I remember that, what utter ****e. I had plenty a money, fiver a day to feed myself, 8 quid is nothing to a kid.

They dont earn it, they spend it on xbox and stuff way more than an adult.

They can pool and do pool their money, jesus, kids have more disposable money that adults.

I will always think it makes no sense, but in other news, didn't smoke today :)

Advertisement