Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with an old advert

Options
  • 19-09-2010 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

There was an ad on the box quite often a few years ago and it's driving me mad that I can't think of the product. It went like this: the ad features the filming of an ad. There was a male German star/model/sportsman as the actor, he messed up his lines. The director says 'cut', tries to get him to do it right, but he fails repeatedly. Eventually the German gets irritated and says to the director, in a hilarious German accent: 'Who the hell are you anyway? Nobody ever heard of you.'

Does anyone out there remember this ad and what it was for?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

There arent a lot of German stars that would be known worldwide.. could it have been Boris Becker (he does a lot of ads) or Michael Schumacher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 suilartu

Sorry, wasn't specific enough - the German star of the ad is a fictitious character, no one real.

I am now fairly certain that it was a Snickers ad, but am unable to find it anywhere online.

Again, any help greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

suilartu wrote: »
    Sorry, wasn't specific enough - the German star of the ad is a fictitious character, no one real.

I am now fairly certain that it was a Snickers ad, but am unable to find it anywhere online.

Again, any help greatly appreciated

Perhaps it was back in the day of 'Marathon' rather than 'Snickers', which would limit you in your online search ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 elchupanebray

There was an ad on the box quite often a few years ago and it's driving me mad that I can't think of the product. It went like this: the ad features the filming of an ad. There was a male German star/model/sportsman as the actor, he messed up his lines. The director says 'cut', tries to get him to do it right, but he fails repeatedly. Eventually the German gets irritated and says to the director, in a hilarious German accent: 'Who the hell are you anyway? Nobody ever heard of you.'

Does anyone out there remember this ad and what it was for?
    i feel your pain just thought of this ad the other day and i am trying to find it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 KittyCat12345

Was that the one where the footballer goes:

'I'm a footballer, not a moviestar, I just like to feel good about myself!'

I could be wrong though!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 IndigoBlue

YouTube have a great catalogue of old ads from the 80s, 90s etc, you might have to trawl through a lot of footage, as several ads joined together on each video, and there are hundreds of vids, but you might strike it lucky there if you're determined enough ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I remember this ad,it was actually a footballer not a film star.It was one of a series,another one was this boxer with huge jug ears who dident want to get in the ring.It was a subtle reference to the Tyson ear biting thing which happened not too long before the ad came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Sorry for hi jacking but does anyone remember the ad about keeping your dog in at night?

It was an animation I think, shows the dog being let out, killing/worrying sheep, then coming home with blood or something on his teeth? and sitting by the fireside?

Anyone? have trawled Youtube but seems too obscure/Irish to be there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Koloman

youngblood wrote: »
    Sorry for hi jacking but does anyone remember the ad about keeping your dog in at night?

It was an animation I think, shows the dog being let out, killing/worrying sheep, then coming home with blood or something on his teeth? and sitting by the fireside?

Anyone? have trawled Youtube but seems too obscure/Irish to be there

I remember that ad. It was an animation alright. The dog is let out of the house and turns into a snarling, almost wolf type creature.

The dog then comes home and is all normal again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Koloman wrote: »
    I remember that ad. It was an animation alright. The dog is let out of the house and turns into a snarling, almost wolf type creature.

Phew someone else remembers, the ad freaked the bejaysus outta me when i was younger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joeyjoejoe83

The ad is for stickers, and the line the footballer keeps getting wrong is "when pain strikes"....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

wasnt he like a young Arnie look a like and wearing white briefs...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭squonk

Koloman wrote: »

I remember too and from what I recall it started with the line 'Bonzo wants to go out dear'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

squonk wrote: »
    I remember too and from what I recall it started with the line 'Bonzo wants to go out dear'.

Yep-it sure did,and at the end when Bonzo was let back into the house you could hear a voice sayin "where have you been all night you bold dog" , and of course the closing line:
    'Keep your dog under control-running free,he can be a KILLER' ,and at the word "killer" you could see a close-up of Bonzo's head turning around to the camera with blood around his mouth.Quite scary.

'I'm a footballer, not a moviestar, I just like to feel good about myself!'
    :p

That was David Ginola,and the ad was for Lorèal Elvive shampoo....and I used to laugh me arse off at him posing and deliberately shaking his hair while doing ball keep-up skills :-):-D

Still though not as funny as:

"JASON McATEER!!!! ...gives it his all.And he knows you like to watch him.And that's why he always uses Wash n' Go!!" :-):-)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 FiveSpice

Anybody ever find this ad?? Driving me crazy!!

"Who are you anyway.. no one has ever heard of you..."

I'm pretty sure it was a famous director too so you think it'd be easy to find!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 martyd

FiveSpice wrote: »
    Anybody ever find this ad?? Driving me crazy!!

"Who are you anyway.. no one has ever heard of you..."

I'm pretty sure it was a famous director too so you think it'd be easy to find!!

This ad also came into my head recently. I've trawled Internet but can't see it anywhere. Surely someone/somewhere remembers it. Was it definitely snickers???

Just by reading earlier posts on this thread I'm gettin vague memories of this ad-they are shooting a tv commercial and the camera is on this fella with a German or Swedish accent,who has to deliver a line "...when pain strikes,strike back"(or something) and he keeps getting it wrong,there are many takes and cuts and he's gettin pissed off-and then the Voice-Over says the line "..Not going anywhere for a while? Why not grab a Snickers"
    And after that,the actor in the commercial says in his accent "Who are you anyway? No one's ever heard of you".....

Then again I may be gettin this completely mixed up with another ad

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭CharlieZeroOne

nobody never found this no? -Aaaagghhhhhhh

Does anybody remember this awful ad about Denny Pies which was from the early 90s?? I must have only seen it a few times.The ad was pretending to be a commercial for a pop music album.,and there were people singing dance versions of songs with altered lyrics,such as.....

"O Denny Pie,the pies the boys are calling for....."

"O Mary this pie is a wonderful sight-so tasty and tempting and fluffy and light..."

"When first I saw the pictures in your pie...."

and at the end Larry Gogan says "....and remember-,Denny Pie is not available from any record store".

Or did I imagine the whole thing? :-/ :-$

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 petiepie

Christ its frightening

Second ad here!!! youtube RTE COmmercials 22 dec 1984 enjoy!!

Advertisement