Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car for learning: insurance

Options
  • 19-09-2010 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi All

I am buying a 2nd hand car so that my gf can practice driving and get the license. So I was thinking an under 2k euros car and not so big so it will be cheap to run.

I was thinkin about a Ford K or a Micra.

Does anybody know how much would an insurance cost ? (The car would be under my name.) does the insurance price change with the CC ?

any suggestions ?

thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

anything with a 1L engine should be perfect to learn to drive in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

Insurance premium (price) is calculated based on a number of factors:

• Age of the Driver
    • Power of the Car (so yes, CC)
    • Age of the Car
    They calculate it from the number of claims involving each of the above statistics and come up with a level of risk and therefore a price to cover the level of risk.

Depending on what level of experience your girlfriend has, you wouldn't need insurance if you practice on private property (private roads, warehouse yard, etc.) as long as you have the permission of the land owner to use the property for that purpose.

But eventually you'll need to get her insured if she is going get experience driving around on the public road with other vehicles.

Ford Ka or a Micra would be ideal, basically anything 1.0 liter range, with 1.4 liter being next dearest, then 1.6 liter, then 1.8 and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

Look at carzone.ie to check out second hand cars. Consider an old toyota yaris. Don't buy anything that the nct has expired on or is just about to. I would not be too stressed about engine size. My opinion is that a 1.2lt engine would be better. It is relative to the size of the car. The effect on the cost of insurance is negligable. As regards the cost of insurance: fill in the details for several online brokers. No one company consistantly does the best prices. It depends on what they have on their books at the time. If you get several quotes, from several brokers, one quote will stand out.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

PCPhoto wrote: »
    anything with a 1L engine should be perfect to learn to drive in.

This is not something that is set in stone. The risk associated with a particular car would have a far greater bearing on the premium. I'd get quotes on anything up to 1.6 tbh, and go from there.

My own choice would be a Ford Fiesta with the 1.25 zetec engine. Good car, nice nippy engine and reliable. There should be plenty around for that kind of money. They also come with an older 1.3 petrol engine, which isn't as refined but it's fairly reliable and cheap to run.

As for insurance quotes; ring around to as many insurance brokers as you can find and get quotes, online systems are poor for inexperienced and young (under 25) drivers. It's just the way it is. When i was hunting around for the best quote earlier this year, i was getting 500+ off the best online quote, simply by ringing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 sebas

As for insurance quotes; ring around to as many insurance brokers as you can find and get quotes, online systems are poor for inexperienced and young (under 25) drivers. It's just the way it is. When i was hunting around for the best quote earlier this year, i was getting 500+ off the best online quote, simply by ringing around.

waw...:cool: I didn't know that... I thought that online prices were the lowes !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

sebas wrote: »
    waw...:cool: I didn't know that... I thought that online prices were the lowes !

It always pays to shop around.

Funnily enough, the broker i ended up getting my policy through, was quoting me 450 more on their online quoting system for a similar policy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would advise her to avoid those 'lady' policies too - ridiculous quotes.

Advertisement