Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neuroscience at UCD

Options
  • 19-09-2010 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm thinking of applying to Neuroscience for after my Leaving Cert (June 2011).

Can anybody tell me a bit about the course? I've looked up what the course contains etc. on the UCD website, but I was hoping for stuff such as:

How often are exams?
    Are the facilities good?
    How much sudy/work is involved?
    Do you have much free time?

Any of that kind of info would be greatly appreciated, the UCD prospectus likes to paint a nice picture for each course but I'd like to know the reality!
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

I did science so I knew a few people in neuro. It's not something I'm massively interested in, but I can tell you about the hours. In first year you'll be doing the same as the rest of science, so not too many hours. Biology, chemistry, physiology. You would be looking at about 25 hours a week plus study. It's roughly the same amount of work as secondary school. Each year it gets harder, but it's manageable. I rarely saw my friends in neuro in final year. It seemed like they were often in labs for 10 hours a day. Most of the class got 2.1s. Exams are twice a year, same as the rest of science. The facilities are getting worse and worse due to lack of funding, but they're good enough.

The hours shouldn't matter that much if it's what you want to do. All degrees are demanding if you want to do well!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sh1tin-a-brick

Thanks for that! I've decided I'm going to apply, getting the points will be fun! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

How often are exams? After every semester
    Are the facilities good? You will be in the Health sciences which is one of the newer buildings in UCD. It is a very nice building.
    How much sudy/work is involved? - You can find that on the UCD website. Here
    Do you have much free time? - Don't know that maybe someone can help you with that.

Advertisement