Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

american football on channel4

Options
  • 19-09-2010 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

if this is already posted, mods feel free to delete.
    Just a heads up to let everybody know that Channel 4 are starting their coverage every sunday night for the remainder of the season.
    Tonight its colts v giants at about 1am.
    Enjoy:):)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

yeah and the coverage is much better then sky which is a disgrace considering what the difference in budgets must be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Mike Carlson is my favourite pundit from all the channels - well, apart from Chris Collinsworth.

Just hope the chemistry between Carlson and Imlach is better - Imlach had the personality of a stone last week!

Someone mentioned a comparison to Pat Kenny, nail met head in that moment!

At least Kenny smiles though, and if someone tells a joke, he laughs! Imlach just comes across as an awful dry ****e. They should have brought over Nat Coombs imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

brilliant to see NFL back on Channel 4 after what, 13 years.

Gary Imlach presented it back then too. Always found him good and knowledgeable. If only they'd a blitz type show on a saturday morning, we'd be sorted.

• Advertisement

yeah i was delighted, was the first place i saw NFL action those many moons ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Imlach is very knowledgable and understands the game and can lead Carlson into points of analysis. Imlach has quite a dry wit if you listen to him, not everyones cup of tea.

Imlach was much better last night I have to admit. Gave his own thoughts a lot more, and most importantly, there was nowhere near the amount of dead air there was in week 1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Also, if you want your SMSs read out, it is the place to go. During the Skins v Cowboys showdown, the anchor uttered the immortal words, "we dont actually have any texts or emails at the moment" !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I missed the first week but i enjoyed the punidtry last night. Perhaps they just needed to get over the hump of the first week and settle in with some chemistry. Sky is all flash and no soul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Sky's coverage hasn't changed that much over the years, thats one problem.

I have so many issues with their coverage;
    -Kevin Cadle and Nick Halling. I like their chemistry and Halling is good. Cadle was a disaster for a few years, a basketball coach who got the job because of his accent, but he has improved to be fair although he should never have been hired in the first place. A suit and accent don't make a presenter. He's over it now but its indicative of Sky that he was allowed in there in the first place.

Then they go and separate the two for the Superbowl, every year. Are they too cheap to get Cadle a flight? They always but Halling in there with a big enough name (Jerry Rice for example) but zero chemistry for the biggest game. What is the producer thinking?

-The special guests. Its great to have ex NFL guys whatever level, I don't prejudice what level you played at (shouldn't inhibit your ability) but being articulate is essential. Sky have had a dozen guys over the years who wouldn't pass a Leaving Cert oral in the English language if it existed. When Halling goes to the States for a while it gets ugly. I cancelled Sky last year but remember seeing a stream of a Sky game sans Halling, just Cadle and some ex tight end. Disastrous stuff.

They've had some great ones-Shaun Gayle and the guy who comes for the SB every year. But they have had some rough rough guests over the years. Its not that they don't splash out (paying air fare and hotels can't be cheap) but they seem to think that anyone with an NFL certed broadcasting course is gonna be great.

-Sky won't show us games in HD when their HD studios are all in use. At least show us the game in HD and the studio in SD, some silly Sky policy. Other broadcasters do it, why can't you?

-They refuse to switch to their second game if it overlaps when there is a blowout in the first. Why? I don't see how it keeps viewers.

-I'd love to know why Thursday games were more economically viable than Monday ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

themont85 wrote: »
    -I'd love to know why Thursday games were more economically viable than Monday ones.

Because there's way fewer Thursday night/Saturday night games (so it's a package of the two that NFL UK are surely selling) and MNF is completely saturated with EPSN hoarding which makes it a bit of a no-no as ESPN is now Sky Sports direct competition here.

Imalch is always going to be dry and that's pretty clearly what makes him great - ''Lucas Oil Stadium is filling up.. with people, obviously.''

Oh, and SNF started last week, Noddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gavmcfad

Great to have NFL back on Channel 4, just a side note for anyone who may not know but Sky Sports is free to air on Sunday. If you are a Sky subscriber but do not have the Sports package, you can watch all 4 Sports channels on Sun.
    At least its a few extra games to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Good to see C4 coverage back. Imlach is extremely knowledgeable about the game. Similar to James Richardson on Italian football.

Used to be addicted to the programme as a kid and hopefully they will come back with a highlights show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭irishpunter

gavmcfad wrote: »
    Great to have NFL back on Channel 4, just a side note for anyone who may not know but Sky Sports is free to air on Sunday. If you are a Sky subscriber but do not have the Sports package, you can watch all 4 Sports channels on Sun.
    At least its a few extra games to watch.

R u serious?? So if I get rid of my sports package I'll still have sky sports every Sunday??
    Since when???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Unless gavmcfad means it's free as a promotion?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Icepickle

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Good to see C4 coverage back. Imlach is extremely knowledgeable about the game. Similar to James Richardson on Italian football.

Used to be addicted to the programme as a kid and hopefully they will come back with a highlights show.

Given that they wedge the match highlights into the breaks in the live game I don't know if the prospects are too good for that - if you need heavier highlights packages you'd be better off finding ESPN Primetime from Monday or NFL GameDay Final online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Sweet. Will definitely Sky+ some games!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gavmcfad

R u serious?? So if I get rid of my sports package I'll still have sky sports every Sunday??
    Since when???

Sorry, i should have pointed out that it is this Sunday only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,225 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Sweet. Will definitely Sky+ some games!

Once Sky Sports goes back to encrypted from free on Monday you won't be able to watch anything you recorded(Unless you get the Sky Sports pack obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Once Sky Sports goes back to encrypted from free on Monday you won't be able to watch anything you recorded(Unless you get the Sky Sports pack obviously).

I thought games are on Channel 4 though. I wasn't referring to the free Sky Sports day.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

This is excellent news. I have just begun a new work shift which means I have Mondays off for the next while. Perfect! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

will channel 4 be showing the playoffs - i've just been told they won't be :(:(:( I don't have sky so it's my only way of watching the playoffs so please can someone tell me I'm wrong about this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

No they are only on Sky. I think the Super Bowl will be on the BBC though. I went and got Sky Player for a month for the play offs. Its handy if you have an XBOX

More pertinently, it's pretty ridiculous that Channel 4 probably won't be showing tonight's game. They'd obviously have the rights and any excuses about schedules is made redundant when the game is on from 1-4am, a time where C4 (and any station) would only be showing filler repeats or a film, again just to fill the timeslot.

Advertisement