Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with Art History?

Options
  • 19-09-2010 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else in this forum doing Art as a Leaving Cert subject?
    I would be grateful if anyone could give me a hand or any advice on what I could do, because I am currently having trouble arguing my points and writing longer essays.

I need to learn how to extend my essays. I currently do 1 page for an Art History essay (not including the diagrams) and I need to bring this up to 3 pages.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sycea

Our Art teacher gave us headings that we have to stick to when we're writing our essays, and we have to include them, or else she won't correct them. and she won't accept anything less than 4 pages plus diagrams. My Michelangelo essay was nine pages! So maybe you could give her system a go?

1. background of the artist- the year they were born/died, the country/area they were from, where they trained, their patron, their style, that kind of thing. Can take up half a page if you know how to waffle on about it.

2. theme/subject matter - this is just a general few sentences on the work your essay is on, the theme e.g. religion, war etc, and subject matter, e.g. Madonna and Child

3. Content - just describe the painting/ sculpture. EVERYTHING, the position of everything in the back/middle/foreground, what the figures are wearing, what the weather's like, what gesture's they're making, just EVERYTHING.

4. Composition - the arrangement of the painting, how that could point to certain parts being more significant, the ideas that the composition expresses. doesn't have to be very long

5. Art Elements - colour, line, tone, pattern, shape, form etc. a few lines about each, and where they can be found in the painting

6. Art Devices - perspective, scale, proportion, how they're used, where they're used, the effect this has on the painting

If you include all of this, and work some of the points of the essay title in somewhere, then you should be fine. Our teacher has us write a general essay on each work of art we study, and then in tests we just have to make the info we learned from the essays apply to whatever the title is. I think it's a really good system - I get B1s/A2s without having to think too hard in tests.

Hope this helps with your art history.

Advertisement