Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General questions about nui maynooth

Options
  • 19-09-2010 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Can someone please tell me what time the "average" person would be finished at each day (I will be doing arts - business and geography)
    Also can you please tell me the area that you live and how long it takes you to get to the uni, Possibly including finding parking (which I heard is crappy)
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭CnaG

There isn't really an average time you will be finished at. It really depends on what modules you're doing. Most (arts) people have a couple of 9am or 10am lectures a week, and a couple of 3 or 4 pm. In my experience, it was unusual to have to stay after 4 with most lectures concentrated in the morning and mid-afternoon. Science students have much longer days. Though as an arts student you'll need to factor in tutorials as well, and you don't sign up for them for a week or two yet.

Parking on campus last year was rubbish. More spaces have been provided this year, but it's likely to remain rubbish. Are you living close enough to college that you could walk or cycle? I lived in a village up the road and it used to take me 25-30 mins to cycle everymorning, or about a 15min trip on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

CnaG wrote: »
    There isn't really an average time you will be finished at. It really depends on what modules you're doing. Most (arts) people have a couple of 9am or 10am lectures a week, and a couple of 3 or 4 pm. In my experience, it was unusual to have to stay after 4 with most lectures concentrated in the morning and mid-afternoon. Science students have much longer days. Though as an arts student you'll need to factor in tutorials as well, and you don't sign up for them for a week or two yet.

Parking on campus last year was rubbish. More spaces have been provided this year, but it's likely to remain rubbish. Are you living close enough to college that you could walk or cycle? I lived in a village up the road and it used to take me 25-30 mins to cycle everymorning, or about a 15min trip on the bus.

Cycling ain't an option for me, I live in Dublin about 10-20 minutes drive from the city
    centre so I will have to drive, the train time table won't work for me as it will take 3 nearly 3 hours from where I live

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    Cycling ain't an option for me, I live in Dublin about 10-20 minutes drive from the city
    centre so I will have to drive, the train time table won't work for me as it will take 3 nearly 3 hours from where I live

Do any of the NUIM buses go near you? They do cover a range of routes

bluewolf wrote: »
    Do any of the NUIM buses go near you? They do cover a range of routes

There would be one about 10 minutes away, but would I not be just as fast to drive, I dont really like busses at all. So I would rather not use it. Im just tryn to find out what time I would usually need to leave at to be there at say 9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

There would be one about 10 minutes away, but would I not be just as fast to drive, I dont really like busses at all. So I would rather not use it.

That's bad for the environment *snob snob snob* :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

There would be one about 10 minutes away, but would I not be just as fast to drive, I dont really like busses at all. So I would rather not use it. Im just tryn to find out what time I would usually need to leave at to be there at say 9
    That's fair enough I just meant since parking is a problem, taking the bus can be nice and stress free. Plus you can always sleep on the bus after a hard day/early morning :p

amyputz wrote: »
    That's bad for the environment *snob snob snob* :P

I will not be the only one in the car. So it wont be that bad. I think that there will be 2 or 3 of us most mornings. Do you know how long it would usually take to drive?
    That's fair enough I just meant since parking is a problem, taking the bus can be nice and stress free. Plus you can always sleep on the bus after a hard day/early morning :p

Yea I thought that you were thinking about the parking. I would not feel comfortable at all if I fell asleep on bus. I hate even sitting on them. I heard that they are making a luas line going to maynooth. Dont think they even started yet though :)

I will not be the only one in the car. So it wont be that bad. I think that there will be 2 or 3 of us most mornings. Do you know how long it would usually take to drive?

Ah carpooling, that's ok then :P Well I don't know where you're coming from exactly but I've a friend living near St. James' Hospital and it takes him 25-35 mins to get here, depending on traffic. Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

+1 for Bus naps in the morning.
    Yea I thought that you were thinking about the parking. I would not feel comfortable at all if I fell asleep on bus. I hate even sitting on them. I heard that they are making a luas line going to maynooth. Dont think they even started yet though :)

There are no plans to bring "The Luas" to Maynooth, you might have confused that with "The Dart" which is going to be extended to Maynooth in the next few years. (The new route will go from Maynooth to Bray)

Try the bus, most of the daily private buses services going to the campus are fairly comfortable and you will be surrounded by your fellow students* (*Most will be asleep though, so take note)

amyputz wrote: »
    Ah carpooling, that's ok then :P Well I don't know where you're coming from exactly but I've a friend living near St. James' Hospital and it takes him 25-35 mins to get here, depending on traffic. Hope that helps :)

Yea that helps a lot. I live even closer than the hospital. I was expecting to be driving for hours. Cos of the traffic in the morning.

• Advertisement

Yea that helps a lot. I live even closer than the hospital. I was expecting to be driving for hours. Cos of the traffic in the morning.

Ah well he's never driven here during rush hour, so I dunno :P

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Picasso711

Hi could someone tell me how the midterms work in NUIM? I am hopefully going to be a student this September. So do you get a week off CLASSES for both holloween and easter right through to fourth year? Or how does it work?

Notice how I capitalize CLASSES as I understand I will have plenty of work to do during this time and dont need some smart ass telling how I am gona have no life... Anyways I am just curious as to how the year is laid out and would appreciate some enlightenment...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

In Semester 1 you get a week off around the end of October, yep. In Semester 2, there are two weeks off classes, one around Easter, the other around Paddy's Day.

Next year the dates are 27th-31st October, 16th-20th March, 6th-10th April.

It's been like that since I started, and presumably for much longer before that. I think the two weeks off in Semester 2 maybe balance out the fact that in Semester 1 you have about three weeks between the end of class and the start of exams, while in Semester 2 exams start a week after classes end. (Which is a real pain in my opinion.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Good luck getting through the village between 8 and 9, whole thing comes to a standstill given that there's the village traffic itself to contend with as well as a secondary and primary school also starting around 9. If you're in for 9 best bet would be to aim for 8 and set up camp on the Arts Block couches for that hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Good luck getting through the village between 8 and 9, whole thing comes to a standstill given that there's the village traffic itself to contend with as well as a secondary and primary school also starting around 9. If you're in for 9 best bet would be to aim for 8 and set up camp on the Arts Block couches for that hour.

Damn. I'll be going there in September and was going to commute from Dublin. Anyone know what the 66 route is like time wise? Would I be better taking the train if I have 9am starts?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Maldesu wrote: »
    Damn. I'll be going there in September and was going to commute from Dublin. Anyone know what the 66 route is like time wise? Would I be better taking the train if I have 9am starts?
    I don't know where you're getting the bus from but it always crawls up the quays, once it hits Chapelizoid it stops every 2 mins for school kids, bombs through Leixlip and into Maynooth. The 7:50 66 would get to Maynooth anywhere between 8:45 and 9:10, depending on traffic.

Honestly I would take the train as it's way faster, but I don't as it's way more expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Planemo wrote: »
    I don't know where you're getting the bus from but it always crawls up the quays, once it hits Chapelizoid it stops every 2 mins for school kids, bombs through Leixlip and into Maynooth. The 7:50 66 would get to Maynooth anywhere between 8:45 and 9:10, depending on traffic.

Honestly I would take the train as it's way faster, but I don't as it's way more expensive!

Cheers. Would be getting it at Parkgate Street. I assume the 67 would take longer. Will have to do some thinking on my options. Any idea what the route is like after 9 am?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Maldesu wrote: »
    Cheers. Would be getting it at Parkgate Street. I assume the 67 would take longer. Will have to do some thinking on my options. Any idea what the route is like after 9 am?

Yeah 67 takes approx. 15 mins longer cause it goes through Celbridge.
    It is quicker after 9, then parkgate st to the college would be around 45 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Picasso711

Cheers Mickstupp :)

Advertisement