Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fraps and Disk Space

Options
  • 19-09-2010 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

Lo all,
    Here's a tip for those who make videos using Fraps, and don't have much disk space.

There's a program called Super. Goto here, and the very bottom you'll see "Download SUPER © setup file from our 2nd dedicated server". Get it, and install it. Some versions don't like the 64bit machines. I'm using Super v2010.build.37 (Jan 2, 2010) which works on my 64bit machine.

Drag and drop your video files into it. I record my video files in Fraps at "30fps half-sized screen, recording windows sound" so that it doesn't lag my gameplay.

In Super, my settings are as follows:
    Top Section
    Output Container MP4, Output Video Codec H.264/AVC, Output Audio Coded ACC/LC

Video Section
    video scale size no change. Frame/Sec 30, bitrate kbps 1248 with the "hi quality", "stretch it", and "48k" options ticked.

Audio Section
    sampling freq 44100, channels 2, bitrate kbps 64

I then throw the file which is 3.90GB file (which is 7 minutes 52 seconds long) into Super, and it outputs a file which is 273MB. The file can be used by Sony Vegas... or so I'm told ;) Trail and error will tell you what video codec is best for your video editor. There's no noticeable difference in the quality of the file, and it's alot smaller.

The other benefit apart from storage is if you're uploading, less to upload.

/edit
    It took about 22 minutes to encode 8 videos totalling 18GB into 1.08GB

My specs are below if you're wondering what I was using at the time. I have Windows 7. I'm sure this will be useful to someone :cool:

/edit2
    Here's a clip that was 340MB's which was reduced to 20.9MB. It took about about a minute to encode, and 10 minutes to upload. No editing was done to this video.

You may say the video quality isn't the best, but it's a trade off in Fraps between "no machine lag", and "better looking picture".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Well I have plenty of space, so no need for me to worry :)
    the_syco wrote: »
    I then throw the file which is 3.90GB file (which is 7 minutes 52 seconds long)

I envy you for that though. When I recorded 1440x900 I got about 2:30 into each file, now at 1080p, I get no more than 1:40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

As I said Chris, if it's emu's or Oldskool games, you really don't need to rec in 1080p

720 is More than enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Tallon wrote: »
    As I said Chris, if it's emu's or Oldskool games, you really don't need to rec in 1080p

I have no choice in the matter since if they run on the desktop and not using DirectX, FRAPS can't focus itself solely on them and has to record my entire primary desktop.

Advertisement