Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Innovation

Options
  • 18-09-2010 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

I have a project to do where I must research the background to a problem in engineering, the problem, and an innovation invented to solve the problemAny ideas what I could do?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

google it. Research it. Come back and ask questions about the elements of your research

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Alice10

I did but I'm looking for examples of problems and innovations

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I'm not sure what's the difference between asking for suggestions on boards or just 'google it'. Surely the result is much the same??

Anyway, my suggest would be something like AC versus DC transmission of electricity. Tesla versus Edison.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

tesla edison is an awesome topic

good luck

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Alice10 wrote: »

That would suggest to me that you haven't done enough research.

As I said before do research and once you have ideas then start asking questions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Most innovative things in engineering were conceived as solutions to problems (or adapted as solutions) - they're rarely invented just for the sake of it.

You don't even have to Google it to start. Look at anything you're interested in, what problem(s) it addresses and why it's better than comparable items.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭dahamster

I have a project to do where I must research the background to a problem in engineering, the problem, and an innovation invented to solve the problemAny ideas what I could do?

what discipline?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

turbulent bill is right

take renewable energy which is very popular at the moment and look at areas where it fails i.e. in efficiencys in wind turbines, and do a project on how to remedy these problems

the irish times do a magazine on engineering innovation see if you can get your hands on an old copy it might give you an idea or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

read up about Brunel, he was an incredible engineer, visionary,and businessman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isambard_Kingdom_Brunel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 406 ✭✭FesterBeatty

Necessity is the mother of all invention...take her from there lad!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Literally...look around. Choose something in your environment, and go from there.

I'm genuinely not being smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,310 ✭✭✭✭ted1

pens that write in space :) banal locks are great debts of engineering.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭who_am_I?

You could look up Genrich Altshuller, He developed the innovation algorithm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

ted1 wrote: »
    pens that write in space :)
    That's actually a really neat little one if the information is there. There's an old joke about NASA wasting millions on developing one of these. The punchline is "The Russians just used a pencil." However, in a weightless environment, the dust from pencils can get into electrical circuits and short them out. Also, NASA actually farmed the project out to a private company. That'd make for a fun introduction to a report.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

The Longitude problem and its eventual resolution was a great story, Newton and Galilleo, the most brilliant scientific minds of the time both failed to provide real-world practical solutions, in the end the guy who solved it was a carpenter and part time watch maker called John Harrison.

He designed and built a maritime chronometer - a timepiece of unparalleled accuracy, even for land based pendulum clocks, thus changing the course (pardon nautical pun) of maritime navigation forever.

It's looks effin class too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 motthomas

I did a project very like this in 1st year. You in UL? I did it on the russian Ekranoplans or WIG craft. Pretty cool things too and its interesting to see why they were developed from a military strategy point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Problem : Not knowing what topic to pick

Innovation: Boards to find the solution

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

The Longitude problem and its eventual resolution was a great story, Newton and Galilleo, the most brilliant scientific minds of the time both failed to provide real-world practical solutions, in the end the guy who solved it was a carpenter and part time watch maker called John Harrison.

He designed and built a maritime chronometer - a timepiece of unparalleled accuracy, even for land based pendulum clocks, thus changing the course (pardon nautical pun) of maritime navigation forever.

It's looks effin class too.

+1 for the longitude problem

read a great book on this once, it was a good mix of interesting backstory and personal side along with the technical engineering & physics involved. Its amazing how difficult it was to accurately tell the time at sea.

Think this would suit the OP very well, there is a lot of innovation, and also a lot went into actually defining the problem. This is often an engineers biggest challenge. In this case accurately telling the time after weeks at sea was the problem that needed to be solved, even though the end application was figuring out your longitude.

Advertisement