Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Channels disappearing from Freesat

Options
  • 18-09-2010 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've split my Sky+ feed in order to connect a satellite signal to the Freesat
    receiver in my Panasonic TV.
    Originally, I used a NI postcode to get UTV, but have now switched to a
    UK mainland postcode, to get ITV HD.
    Whichever code I use, over the past few days I've noticed channels disappearing at random. The main BBC, ITV etc are there, but stuff like
    BBC3, 4 etc are only there sometimes.
    Is anyone else experiencing these problems?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

what do you mean you have split the feed? You cannot split a satellite feed, only use a direct clean feed to another output on a multioutput lnb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 JackBrgs

The main BBC, ITV etc are there, but stuff like
    BBC3, 4 etc are only there sometimes.
    Is anyone else experiencing these problems?
    BBC3 and BBC4 start broadcasting at 7pm. Are you trying to tune in while they're off air?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

snaps wrote: »
    what do you mean you have split the feed? You cannot split a satellite feed, only use a direct clean feed to another output on a multioutput lnb

I used a 1 into 2 splitter to feed the cable from the LNB to both the Sky box and the satellite tuner in the TV.
    I know it's not recommended but it works fine. Small loss of signal strength, but the signal quality seems unaffected.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

JackBrgs wrote: »
    BBC3 and BBC4 start broadcasting at 7pm. Are you trying to tune in while they're off air?

That might be it. I'll check more closely to see what goes off and at what time.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It only seems to work. A one in 4 chance.

The satellite channels are on 10.7GHz to 12.6GHz and also Horizontal or Vertical polarisations. The band is in two parts, 10.7GHz to 11.7GHz and 11.7GHz to 12.6GHz

All this is selected in the LNB by 13V or 18V supply and 22kHz tone on /off.

Bottom line?

The coax only has at any time about 1/4 of the channels. The Satellite receiver asserting 22kHz or 18V may win (only one box has channel). If one needs 18V and no tone and the other needs 13V and tone on for the channel, then neither will have a channel.

You can't split a coax for Sky/Freesat. You need a Dual or Quad outlet LNB on the dish arm and a separate cable for each tuner.

Unlike regular Radio or TV, part of the Satellite tuner is actually inside that box on the dish arm, the LNB. A Dual or Quad LNB is actually 2 or 4 separate "tuner front ends".

Risk of ordinary splitter
    Some satellite receivers can be damaged by this depending on design of satellite box and splitter
    You will fine one box or box missing channels depending which channel is selected on which box.

• Advertisement
Advertisement