Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My name is Franny...

Options
  • 18-09-2010 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

As I write these word's, I am puffing on what I so dearly hope is my last score of Nicotine, I say it like a junkie because I am a junkie to Nicotine.
    How many times have i tried to stop!!! countless is the answer, but I have a new understanding of this drug now and with this knowledge of the total negativity of smoking hopefully I will kick it.

Date...Sat 18.09.2010
    Time...15.45.
    Drug of choice...Nicotine.

Help me please !!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭iceman7

you gotta help yourself fran,no one can help you,anyway i would reccomend hypnosis,i was a 20 a day man,had 1 hypnosis session and havent even had the urge to smoke 15yrs l8r

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭frannymurph

Thanks Iceman. I know what your'e saying, just want some support and encouragement...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭NavanEPS

frannymurph - You can do it!!
    If you want to you can do it - we are all here to help you when you need it.
    I am off them nearly 11 weeks and it is the most difficult thing I have done in my life. I am a junkie too of nicotine (20 a day) so I understand.
    The release is fantastic so enjoy the achievement each passing hour.
    The real cravings in the early few days, only last from 5 to 10 minutes, feels like hell, and then GONE! I promise!
    You will have ups and downs but mostly a sense of achievement and feeling "clean"

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Da_Doc

I had what I hope is my last score of nicotine at exactly 11.00am today. I hope you are still going strong Franny if not throw away the pack now.

Im 27 and have been smoking since about the age of 14. Ive had a couple of serious attempts in the last few years ranging in success from a few weeks to about 10 months but I have also have had countless half-arsed attempts that lasted a day or less. I work about 5 nights a week as a doorman and have been using it as an excuse to go back on them...ah sure how can i quit when I constantly have people smoking around me...complete bull.

For last few months I have been raging at myself constantly for still smoking, I train weights and running 3-4 evenings per week and still smoke 20 a day :mad:. Im finally gona do something about it and stop (smoking not training:)). I am going down the willpower and chewing gum (regular as opposed to nicotine) route.

I am also looking for support, somewhere to rant when im havin a tough day and to chat to people going through the same stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Da_Doc wrote: »
    I had what I hope is my last score of nicotine at exactly 11.00am today. I hope you are still going strong Franny if not throw away the pack now.

Im 27 and have been smoking since about the age of 14. Ive had a couple of serious attempts in the last few years ranging in success from a few weeks to about 10 months but I have also have had countless half-arsed attempts that lasted a day or less. I work about 5 nights a week as a doorman and have been using it as an excuse to go back on them...ah sure how can i quit when I constantly have people smoking around me...complete bull.

For last few months I have been raging at myself constantly for still smoking, I train weights and running 3-4 evenings per week and still smoke 20 a day :mad:. Im finally gona do something about it and stop (smoking not training:)). I am going down the willpower and chewing gum (regular as opposed to nicotine) route.

I am also looking for support, somewhere to rant when im havin a tough day and to chat to people going through the same stuff.

Would it not be a good idea to have a box of nicotine gum in reserve at least ? I don't understand that masochistic approach of cold turkey. Patches and Gum - anything to make it easier as far as I am concerned. I also use regular gum to save money on nicotine gum but the thoughts of cold turkey literally break me out in a sweat. I would be up the walls without patches and gum - some people have nightmares on them, I can agree they can interfere with your sleep but even still way better than a cold turkey approach imo. Day 3 for me btw - and irritable as fcuk - almost tore into someone earlier on for eating an apple too loudly. At the end of this week though I know from experience that it will be a lot easier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Da_Doc

Hi Morlar,

You have a good point, but I hear that the nicotine is gone from your system fairly quickly and the rest is just a psychological battle with yourself to break the habit. If things get too bad and I feel Im gona crack, I will go straight in and get the gum. Thanks for the input

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Subtle Troll

I've been cutting down, I havent had one in 4 days now I think, I do that now, 4 days on 4 days off, not by choice just ends up that way but the more I get used to being off the easier it is to stay off.

4 days down lets see what i can say tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Morlar wrote: »
    Would it not be a good idea to have a box of nicotine gum in reserve at least ? I don't understand that masochistic approach of cold turkey. Patches and Gum - anything to make it easier as far as I am concerned. .

Its not a machoistic approach IMO.I went cold turkey. I just wanted all the nicotine out of me. I felt that if i was using patches/gum that i was still an addict, i was still taking in the stuff. So i decided to get rid of it ASAP.

But different strokes and all that. Whatever works for you!

And good luck! you too Franny :)

Advertisement