Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect Drawings? Or Builder

Options
  • 18-09-2010 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

Hi. If I were to have an extension built onto the rear of my house (planning exempt), do I need an architect or drawings for that matter? If I have detailed sketch work or drawings I did myself, would this be enough for a builder to use?

I am also interested in this, because I don't want to be stung if I decide to sell. All help/advice appreciated. I know my uncle had an extension done a few years ago, but there were no drawings of any kind and I wonder if he would be able to sell his property and if so, what would need to be done there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

I am an Architectural Technician and say that to declare my bias and my agenda up front .

We have left an era when so much much of our building stock was built without professional input .

When conveyancing solicitors have been obliged to seek , but crucially not obtain , certificates of compliance with 1. planning permission and 2 . building regulations . During the just departed good old days it was enough for the seller to "declare" that no certs would be forthcoming .

The sale process moved on and as money was cheap lenders did not pass up on the opportunity to simply lend and lend . There was in practice little or no consequence to building extensions or renovations without regard to building regulations .

I believe that time has passed now and that along with ghost estate properties that buildings with uncertified works will be either impossible to sell or will only sell at a significant discount .

Builders CANNOT certify works .

They CAN build without professional input of course and many are more than happy with this free reign .

Be very , very clear on one point - in the event of enforcement action for non compliance with building regulations - the building owner is liable.

No one else .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Thanks for that. What would a ball park figure be for an architect to draw for a 20-25 sq metre extension and to sign it off at completion? I know this is probably a "how long is a piece of string" question, but if you have a figure, I would love to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,863 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Get a local architectural technician (with PI cover) and he/she will sort you out.

Price wise it will depend on what part of the country you are in and what brief your technician will have and the extent of their input.

Advertisement