Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De-soldering problem

Options
  • 18-09-2010 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I'm trying to de-solder a component from a dell laptop (dc jack to be precise). However, I'm having a strange problem, the solder won't melt. I've cleaned the top of the solder from what seems to be a protective coating before attempting to de-solder.

Essentially my question is, is it possible to mix something into solder to stop it melting once it has set. I've tried heats at 100, 220, 230, 260, 300 and 320 degrees (at 320 the plastic was starting to bubble so obviously too high :P), and not evening the slightest hint of it melting. I've also tested various tips and a different soldering iron, so it's not the equipment. Have tried solder wick and directly heating the joints.

Thanks for any info,

-Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Can you post a picture of the joint?

It sounds like your not getting enough heat into it. What wattage is your iron?

Have you tried adding additional solder to the joint? This will help get heat into the rest of the joint. I do this any time I need to get lots of heat into a joint.

Are you using solder wick or solder sucker?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

hey DublinDilbert, tried both, wick first, then sucker. Will check the wattage on Monday. Even tried using solder on top of the joints when I realised it wasn't heating / melting. Tried putting solder over the joint, then reheating later, no joy. Will try to get a pic up later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    hey DublinDilbert, tried both, wick first, then sucker. Will check the wattage on Monday. Even tried using solder on top of the joints when I realised it wasn't heating / melting. Tried putting solder over the joint, then reheating later, no joy. Will try to get a pic up later :)

Sounds like not enough heat. You should be able to add extra solder to a joint like that and reflow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Dermot2468

I had the exact same problem recently, its because of the higher melting point of the lead free solder used in laptops. The solution the semi worked for me was to melt a little bit of normal lead solder onto the joint to help transfer heat, this will melt at a lower temperature and transfer the heat to the joint more efficiently. Also leave the iron for a fair while to heat before starting.

Edit: Just read the rest of the replies and realised this has been suggested, It worked for me eventually with a bit of patience.

Advertisement