Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics

Options
  • 18-09-2010 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

We dont have Leaving Cert physics in our school and I want to do it as an extra subject outside school. Where can I do it??? Pls. Help..pls..ASAP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

you can study it yourself as an extra subject and let the school know when it comes time to fill out your leaving cert entry form. As for the experiments, if you are near dublin, the institute of education leeson street run a course that just covers the experiments. Students in school can be inspected by the department for their physics lab books by the department of education. Some external students in the past have been known to get away without filling in any lab book or doing any live experiments. The leaving cert experiments used to be on youtube. Dunno if they are still there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 CRN

Thanq. Have u done physics?? Is the course hard?I mean will I be able to do it by myself?And do u hav any clue abt the fees they ask in Institute of Education??
    Thanq once again.

€600 just for the experiments http://www.ioe.ie/parttime/science-practicals.html . You get a 10% discount if you fork out more cash for the associated physics non-experiment classes.

Colleges like NUI Maynooth have for the last few years held experiment days FREE where they might cover half a dozen experiments maybe in January. Places need to be booked and they fill up pretty quick.

No idea if the course is hard but if you are not doing chemistry I know the physics/chemistry combination is supposed to be easier. The honours phys/chem syllabus is kinna the pass course of both physics and chemistry stuck together. So you get honours points for ordinary level material. Have a look at the past papers on www.examinations.ie

Thanq.It was really helpful. Hows Kilroy's College distance course?Have any idea?Pls. reply..

no idea :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

It's tricky to get sometimes, but I love the subject. I'd say it would be hard to teach yourself. I think the idea of doing physics/chemistry combination is pretty good.
    CRN wrote: »
    Thanq.It was really helpful. Hows Kilroy's College distance course?Have any idea?Pls. reply..

I don't know but I saw their brochure in someone's house before and I was not impressed. There were quite a few grammar mistakes in it too.

Thanks Aoifums. I did Technology for my Junior Cert. And I'm doin Chemistry and Biology. So i dont thnk i can do the subject physics/chemistry. Can u pls. inform me whether ther's a practical examination for physics?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

CRN wrote: »
    I'm doin Chemistry and Biology. So i dont thnk i can do the subject physics/chemistry. Can u pls. inform me whether ther's a practical examination for physics?

That's right. You can't do Chemistry with phys/chem.

There is no practical exam for physics, although you are supposed to carry out 'practicals' but there are no marks for them. The practicals help though because of the experiment questions in the exam.

That's right. You can't do Chemistry with phys/chem.

There is no practical exam for physics, although you are supposed to carry out 'practicals' but there are no marks for them. The practicals help though because of the experiment questions in the exam.

Thanks. I'm relieved. Atleast thers no practical exam. So some hope for studying by myself.

Advertisement