Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Second Hand Hybrid Car

Options
  • 18-09-2010 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello,

Looking for a good second hand car with automatic transmission. I drive mostly within City Limits, so thinking about a Hybrid Model because of the low running cost. Have been thinking about a 06-08 Honda Civic. Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,799 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Prius would be another option, a lot more of them on the roads in Ireland so likely to be easier to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

naved_sh wrote: »
    Hello,

Looking for a good second hand car with automatic transmission. I drive mostly within City Limits, so thinking about a Hybrid Model because of the low running cost.
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I am not sure what low running cost you are talking about, but the hybrid would not be the cheapest thing to run. Apart from the depreciation, they are very complex vehicles and not the most economical either (however, if you drive in the city only, then it may be OK). My friend has a Prius and the battery pack went in it. The car can not be used without the battery pack and to replace this it would cost around 3,000 and there is only 6 months warranty on the new battery.
    In the city centre I would use a bicycle, but if you need a car, a small uncomplicated, cheap to maintain car with low depreciation (that is usually the highest cost of keeping a vehicle) would be my choice.
    Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Prius would be another option, a lot more of them on the roads in Ireland so likely to be easier to buy.

Manky looking though, and whats the story on battery life in these hybrids??

M

Seweryn wrote: »
    Hi,
    My friend has a Prius and the battery pack went in it. The car can not be used without the battery pack and to replace this it would cost around 3,000 and there is only 6 months warranty on the new battery.

The Prius comes with a 100,000 mile or 8 year warranty on the battery pack, was his car outside of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

The Prius comes with a 100,000 mile or 8 year warranty on the battery pack, was his car outside of this?
    I am not sure what year is his one, but looks like it was out of that.
    If you get 8 years from the factory batteries, that's not so bad, but the replaced pack offered by a Toyota dealer comes with 6 months warranty and that does not sound good, especially considering the huge cost. Anyway, you can buy quite good car these days for 3k Euro.

• Advertisement
    M

Seweryn wrote: »
    I am not sure what year is his one, but looks like it was out of that.
    If you get 8 years from the factory batteries, that's not so bad, but the replaced pack offered by a Toyota dealer comes with 6 months warranty and that does not sound good, especially considering the huge cost. Anyway, you can buy quite good car these days for 3k Euro.

Yes poor alright, you would need to be getting 2 years atleast to be shelling out that much for a replacement. I think it's only Toyota who supply them so you can't get a 3rd party battery instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

The civic is a lot less complicated than the prius. It'll do 50mpg as long as you don't take it on the motorway. It's a bit sluggish and not the sportiest of drive but it's comfortable and I like the interior. Its got climate control, 10disc cd changer, heated seats and the lot. Tax and insurance for a hybrid is quite low too I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Jesus, why would you bother with a hybrid? They're useless. Any good diesel engine will be much more frugal, and less complicated to sort if something goes wrong. Plus, you'll find it easier to sell the diesel when you're done.

Most hybrids won't do anything like the MPG figures they're claiming.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,426 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Something like a golf tdi dsg would have a lot more to go wrong than a hybrid.
    The cells in the batteries can be individually changed, and as previously mentioned, the warranties are long on the hybrid components.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

I agree with Paint doctor, diesel is the way to go, a small engine diesel like the peugeot 308 1.4hdi or a corolla hatchback 1.4d4d or something along those lines, small enough for easy parking and around town is where they shine on fuel economy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

If its city driving and fuel economy your after, get a VW lupo diesel. They will do over 70mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

does that Lupo have a DMF, DPF and expensive injectors?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

I'm selling a 2005 Civic Hybrid!!! Only need a bigger car as family is growing. Cannot fault it in any way, and it has been as economical as it claims. No issues with it whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

BigEejit wrote: »
    does that Lupo have a DMF, DPF and expensive injectors?
    So you are saying that a hybrid is a better option, because they will have less expensive potential repair?

Riiight. And a new electrical system in a hybrid costs how much? Id wager its less than a dmf would cost.

Your user name is quite apt it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

if you are buying a 2nd hand hybrid make sure it has a full service history from a honday dealer , hybrids batteries are warranty void as soon as you get it serviced elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I agree with Paint doctor, diesel is the way to go, a small engine diesel like the peugeot 308 1.4hdi or a corolla hatchback 1.4d4d or something along those lines, small enough for easy parking and around town is where they shine on fuel economy

Don't remember there being auto versions in the 1.4hdi or 1.d4d's.

Will be very hard to find a decent, smallish diesel auto, and the small engine petrol auto's are pretty poor to drive.

Sounds like a hybrid will do exactly what the OP wants.

Advertisement