Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Memories of Rush

Options
  • 18-09-2010 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

As a young girl I went on holidays to loughshinny.I would have been about 10 and would have spent some time in Rush.As a teenager I would also have spent some time there also.
    I can remember walking along the road, in what seems to my memory always good weather.Meeting people, friends.We would call into these friends houses and the door was ALWAYS open, you would just walk in.This to me was amazing.
    For fun, we would go to the beach, or loughshinny beach.In my 20s my family bought a mobile home there. My Dad, loved the Caroleann ??Pub .
    By than my sister and brother , where in there early teens and enjoyed holidaying in rush as much as I had.I seen Leo Bs pictures, the one of the Scots den.I can honestly tell you I felt so sad.For me Rush is lovely and the people living there should appreciate the nice neighbours and the fine countryside that they have.
    Now I know, I might have my rose tinted glasses on, but wouldn't it be nice if people could take some pride in where they live, some ownership for their community.
    I'm envious of those living in Rush, there is a great sense of community, and coming together.Maybe it just needs a little more togetherniss.
    Maybe , the community development person from FLP could meet with people there and talk about whats needed ?? I havent lived in Rush , and the mobile home is long gone, but I still hold it close to me.
    I hope something can be done about that Grafftiee.Cathy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

The graffiti was sorted ages ago, the name of the pub you tried to spell is the Carlyan and its a scouts den, not a scots den.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

ohhhhhhhhh, didnt know it was a spelling test.
    Glad the graffiti was sorted out.

cathy01 wrote: »
    Caroleann ??Pub .
    cathy01 wrote: »
    ohhhhhhhhh, didnt know it was a spelling test.
    Glad the graffiti was sorted out.

The question marks made me think you were open to correction, so I corrected you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

your scots den comment was just cheeky and unhelpful.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭briany

It is true of places like Rush,Skerries and Loughshinny that while there's not a whole lot happening in them, well certainly not in Loughshinny anyway, they do have qualities that will/would be missed when they succumb to excessive settlement and are eaten up by development and urban sprawl. Once, during English class in secondary school, one of the girls complained aloud that there was nothing to do in Skerries, the English teacher suggested that years from now if she was living in bustling place like San Fransisco or somewhere like that with a high stress job, she would miss the peace of a place like Skerries and it would be the very thing she craved most. There's something about coming from little places beside the sea like these that gets in you and has a big influence on the way you look at things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

cowzerp wrote: »
    your scots den comment was just cheeky and unhelpful.

Considering the standard of english lately due to text speak I was very impressed with the corrections myself. I know Tangy from their posts would be in that generation that had the most exposure to text writing so genuinely impressed to see the corrections and correct English. A fair few wouldn't have even noticed. So lets not be too negative please on him/she/it.

On the original post ever generation always says it would never happen in there day and remember how good it was in times gone by. We all look at times gone by with rose tinted glasses. They were the days you could leave your doors open most likely because you had nothing of value to rob, remember when you had to wait at least 6 months to get a phone? Sure other posters can all remember more things from the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s that you don't regret missing.

It was only some grafitti not a major crime wave. It actually shows what a quiet town it is that grafitti is seen as one of the major crimes still.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Considering the standard of english lately due to text speak I was very impressed with the corrections myself. I know Tangy from there posts would be in that generation that had the most exposure to text writing so genuinely impressed to see the corrections and correct English.

*their

:pac: now I'm being cheeky :) nah, I'm only messin', cheers. Interesting to see that my age comes through in my posts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,755 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

TangyZizzle & Corsendonk - If you wish to criticise other posters' posting styles - join the Spell Czechs forum. Trollish, insulting behaviour & off-topic posting will cop you lengthy bans if this persists.

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Unsure of how to reply to the op here. Actually thought I replied last night but its gone:confused:

First things first Rush people do take pride in where they live. Some probably dont but people like them are everywhere. I have some great neighbours who I can call on at any time and I see good neighbourliness every day and again like everywhere else I have neighbours I would not miss if they moved.

Rush is a great place and there is some good work going on at present but life has changed so much around here especially over the last 15yrs. There are now house built where a lot of kids played happily. But our expectations of life have also changed so much you cant really compare like with like. Who leaves their doors open anymore? Very few. Rush probably did fall off the radar a bit but believe me its quite vibrant and I thnk will continue to improve and in time will be thee place to live in North Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Duzzer

LeoB wrote: »
    Unsure of how to reply to the op here. Actually thought I replied last night but its gone:confused:

First things first Rush people do take pride in where they live. Some probably dont but people like them are everywhere. I have some great neighbours who I can call on at any time and I see good neighbourliness every day and again like everywhere else I have neighbours I would not miss if they moved.

Rush is a great place and there is some good work going on at present but life has changed so much around here especially over the last 15yrs. There are now house built where a lot of kids played happily. But our expectations of life have also changed so much you cant really compare like with like. Who leaves their doors open anymore? Very few. Rush probably did fall off the radar a bit but believe me its quite vibrant and I thnk will continue to improve and in time will be thee place to live in North Dublin

You mean Loughshinny?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

Duzzer wrote: »

No he definately did not mean loughshinny!!!!:D
    mind you your speed bumps are fantastic!

I have memories of rush before i even moved out here.about 6 years ago. trying to get a taxi from outside the xtravsion on a sunday morning. with a bustin hangover. cant remeber the details leading up to it . but who would have thought i would be living here now.

maybe the economic slow down will give an oppurtunity to someone like me to enjoy the different pace of life out here that will all lead to my future memories.

No he definately did not mean loughshinny!!!!biggrin.gif
    mind you your speed bumps are fantastic!

On those speed bumps, in very tiny letters, are written the words "Blow-ins go away."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

briany wrote: »
    On those speed bumps, in very tiny letters, are written the words "Blow-ins go away."

Dont forget its part of the Parish of Rush!

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Dont forget its part of the Parish of Rush!

It's also in the postal area of Skerries. So it's kind of like the middle bit of a geographical venn diagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Seen a house for sale in loughshiny , in the bay.Guys you have no idea how much I would love that house.All I need is a lotto win.
    The group, that Im with where looking at opening a charity shop in Rush, things fell through with the land lord.:mad:

But , its not off the cards, just on the long finger.

I did make a couple of phone calls as to , weather it would work or not.
    Oh, on my spelling errors, I aplogise for them , Dyslexia, but it doesnt stop me posting ...
    and yes ,I have a spell check..
    Cathy:D

I have cousins in this area and spent many a childhood summer up there and i have to say its nice to see a bit of greenery not so far from the big smoke. and you have the seaside too. the Carolyan is a nice pub and the Harbour bar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Duzzer wrote: »

No definatley meant Rush:D. Read the op. Mind you Loughshinny is a nice spot also.

Advertisement