Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early rut

Options
  • 18-09-2010 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

I heard the stags roaring for the first time last night if this is the start of the rut its quite early, last year it started on oct.1. Has anyone else heard them yet?:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Rutting here, heard them from house couple nights ago. I don't know what's early or late though

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Last year I went up the mtns here in Mayo on Oct 16th and heard and saw them. They had already been roaring for a while before then. I am going up next weekend to camp out and will report back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

About normal around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

this happend in the Phoenix Park over the weekend during the marathon

Q:Can a Deer jump 8 foot?

A: Yes I have seen a der jump over a 10 foot hedge

Response

i only ask as at the 12.5 miles mark 3 young deer turned on the crowd and some runners, one of the deer jumped over everyone, must have been about 8 foot in the air! amazing looking. The other 2 took one of the runners out, poor fella.

Wonder why they attacked the Runners..apparently they were Doe's too

Sorry, not much point in me saying I'll report back, if I then don't. :o
    Went up mtns Sept 25th and rut in full swing. Had 1 stag no more than 200 m away, though behind trees. Saw no females though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

lots of activity here , I saw a stag and four does a couple of days ago and nearly hit a doe in the truck comming home last night and lots of roaring which is a bit creepy at night up here, would say numbers have increased since last year in so far as I've heard lots more this year, could just be moving into my area as there is plenty of young forestry to eat and de-bark.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Heard the first sika whistle on the first of September, appropriately enough. :) Been a lot more since though, starting to get properly into the swing of things. Would love to be somewhere I could hear the reds roaring. That's a truly awesome sound.

A Sika stag walked across the road in front of me on the Ros / Leitrim border this morning in broad daylight, at 10 am. He stopped. I stopped. We had a look at eachother, then he rambled on in to the trees. Lovely animal and great antlers. :) The ever greater afforestation of rural Ireland must be really helping these guys to spread ever further.

Advertisement