Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

extend or new build, pros and cons?

Options
  • 17-09-2010 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys. Just want to bounce a few things around here. I currently have a small 2 bedroom 60m2 approx bungalow built in 1969, cavity wall pumped with loose white bead a number of years back, with pvc double glazing installed.it also has 2 flat roof extensions already,one a small extension to the small kitchen and a sun porch that runs the full lengh of the house,but is quite narrow.the house has no central heating,just open fire and a couple of storage heaters. Now I have planning to demolish the existing house and replace with a new much larger house and new septic tank.We are not happy with the house we have got planning for and would want to change the house type anyway. I am wanting to move on this and am in a pickle as to what to do. I have talked to a few people about the whole extend or replace thing and some say keep the existing house and extend and others say replace as it will cost the same in the long run and you will always regret keeping the old part. I want to get a general feel for what you guys on here would be thinking. Below I have listed a few pros and cons with each option from a build and cost point of view.Maybe you can comment or correct me on my assumptions.

1. leave existing house and extend.

Pros.

Could keep existing septic tank.
    Could keep existing esb connection.
    Could keep existing water connection.
    Also been told before that it may be easier to get a mortgage/loan against the current value of the existing house.
    No council development charges.

Cons.

Existing house needs to be taken up to current energy regs.
    Existing house would need rewiring.
    Existing house would need replumbed for central heating.
    Existing house would probably need new roof and windows.
    Existing house would need new skirtings,doors,fixtures,fittings,etc.
    Design of extension needs to take existing house into consideration.

2.Demolish and replace with a new house.

Pros.

Planning should be straight forward,just change of house type.
    All new dwelling,built to or above current regs.
    Blank canvas for house design,not having to take into account existing house.

Cons.

Council development fees.
    ESB reconnection (not sure if that is a huge cost).
    Water reconnection (not sure if that is a huge cost).
    Cost of demolition.
    Might be harder to get mortgage/loan, as existing house will be gone.
    Need to install new septic tank,as that was part of existing planning application.

Might have missed some pros and cons there and may be of the mark on some. Just trying to get as much as possible info from as many as possible on my options in order to make a good decision.All comments and advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

The fact that you are throwing the question out there at all makes me think you would never be happy leaving the old house in place in the long run.

IMO, you should get a new house designed, taking into consideration the site orientations, inclinations and contours, facings and shelterings, and your own family needs and budget. Any new house should incorporate modern design, renewable energies, airtightness, insulations, etc.

Any new house can incorporate a radon barrier and sumps, cold bridging, sealed cavities, ground insulations, etc., all of which the old house can never have incorporated properly.

The old house is very small, probably poorly designed, extended a couple of times probably poorly, has old style flat roofs, doesn't meet current minimum standards of construction of Building Regulations, is not very cost effective to heat and probably wastes a lot of energy.

You will never get better value building than at present.

Anyway, that's just how I see it......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Grand Designs raised this idea earlier this week. A couple loved their bungalow so they designed two extensions to it. But as the build progressed less & less of the original bungalow remained. It was a nice design but maybe it would have been better if they demolished and rebuilt.

Your house is 41 years old, most structures are designed to last 60 years. You would have a much warmer house, built as quickly and probably for a similar cost as a major demolition and extension on an existing dwelling.

I know your house may have memories but it might be as well to let go and rebuild. It could be your dream home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭gooner99

good points there guys.some that I hadn't really considered. Must watch that grand designs episode. Thanks for the replies, look forward to more opinions.cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

was the house you got permission for from a book of plans?

best money you could spend is with a good architect, he/she will listen to your ideas and concepts, your needs as a family, how you use the house and then propose design to you.

It helps greatly if you do your homework in terms of what you like and don't like.
    Photograph houses you like, bookmark them on interweb, all helps.

Because if you go through this process you will end up with but one choice, to rebuild the home you have always wanted.

best of luck to you in your endeavour!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Gooner99,
    have you thought at all about retrofitting your original house to passive house standards? From what you describe, imo, it could be a v. good opportunity for you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement