Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Subtitling TG4

Options
  • 17-09-2010 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Does anyone know what TG4's policy is towards subtitling in the Irish language. Most of its programmes come with English subtitles, but how about Irish subtitles. I don't think they are available on Teletext for a majority of programmes?

Is anyone in the know?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

Its my understanding that TG4's ''South Park'' which is dubbed in Irish, by pressing 888 on Teletext, Irish subtitles will appear. All other programming is only available with English Subtitles as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Irish subtitles are great, English ones are just distracting as you end up reading them even if you try not to.

I only saw Irish subtitles once but they were so handy, Easily dubbled what I Could understand.

I've found myself having the same experience.. The TG4 Subtitling is counter-productive in that you try to get a grasp of what is happening by listening to the Irish. You then result t subtitling to check are you correct and before you know it you're ''reading'' the programme and the Irish is out the window.
    I wonder with the goin digital in 2012, could TG4 set up an optional English nó Gaeilge subtitling setting. Perhaps we should begin a campaign, eh?

I would like to see future programming have subtitles "off-line" so you can tun them off rather than have them hard coded on the video, with digital TV it should be possible to do with ease.

S4C the welsh channel does bi-lingual subtitling for some of it's programming, i.e. english subtitles when welsh is spoken and welsh when english is spoken.

As a side point, it would be nice to see Irish subtitles for some english language programmes, just imagine a series of Father Ted with Irish subtitles
    The series is so well known that it would be a useful learning aid to just concentrate on the subtitles as you already know the plot! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

I've found myself having the same experience.. The TG4 Subtitling is counter-productive in that you try to get a grasp of what is happening by listening to the Irish. You then result t subtitling to check are you correct and before you know it you're ''reading'' the programme and the Irish is out the window.
    I wonder with the goin digital in 2012, could TG4 set up an optional English nó Gaeilge subtitling setting. Perhaps we should begin a campaign, eh?

I agree, Toyota_Avensis. Hopefully we will be able to press a button to eliminate the subtitles. I seem to remember TG4 claim that they have the subtitles because the response to them by non-Irish speakers is hugely positive!

• Advertisement

I agree, Toyota_Avensis. Hopefully we will be able to press a button to eliminate the subtitles. I seem to remember TG4 claim that they have the subtitles because the response to them by non-Irish speakers is hugely positive!

I think it's more to do with the fact that advertisers were unwilling to sponsor the channel if the viewers were just limited to Irish speakers & learners!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 inde

My point is this though, whereas English subtitling is available on just about all of TG4's programmes. Is it the same for Irish subtitling. IE what programmes is it provided on? I don't think Irish subtitles are available on any English Language programmes. I don't know what the story is with Irish Language Programmes and Irish language subtitles. Does anyone else?

as I said before, Subtitles as gaeilge are offered for South Park.. I haven't found them to be available for any other programme and I've checked a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

I remember seeing subtitles in Irish for Ros na Rún, fadó. Certainly they could offer a choice of subtitles, even in anologue, with subtitles in Irish on one page and in English on another (like the french channel TV5 has offered for years, they have a choice of five different languages). It will be easier with the digital service to offer subtitles in different languages. I agree that TG4 provides on-screen english languages subtitles, whether we want them or not, in order to allow non-irish speakers to follow the programmes. A policy I disagree with. If the channel is supposed to be an Irish language channel it should not worry about non-Irish speakers understanding the programmes. English speakers have plenty english-only channels to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

All the channels are fixated on ratings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement