Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital work experience

Options
  • 17-09-2010 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi, I'm a TY student and I'm thinking about a career in medicine. So luckily I've got a place in the Mater Hospital for a week, which I'm really thankful for, and I don't want to just walk in there without preparing for it. If anybody has any ideas which book(s) or website(s) should I read that would give me some really really basic medical knowledge I would be very thankful!

Thanks, Anna

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I assume you will be following one doctor around the place. Do you know what area of medicine they are in?
    If you found that out you could take a wee gander through the relevant sections in the "oxford handbook of clinical medicine".
    Being honest, I doubt they will expect you to know a whole lot in TY so I wouldn't worry about it.
    Just be pleasant to the staff, show up on time, and display a willingness to learn.
    If you can do that they will be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 anci

Hi,
    Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately I don't know who I'm going to be shadowing, I have only talked to the TY coordinator and I didn't think of asking it. I'll try to find out, but since it's going to be in February, maybe even they don't know it yet...
    I know that the question sounded a bit naive, since there is sooo much to study in medicine, I would just feel awkward walking in there without any knowledge, if you know what I mean.
    I will definitely look into the "oxford handbook of clinical medicine"! Do you think I can find it in most libararies(in Dublin)?
    I also found a website www.medicinenet.com. Do you think reading about diseases, conditions and tests might be useful?

Thank you so much for helping me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

the only TY students i've seen on work experience in hospitals have been working in admin or with the care assistants...
    hopefully you will get a taste of different elements of hospital life but i wouldn't bank on shadowing a doctor for your time there, you may end up disappointed..
    hope you enjoy it, nonetheless...

I hope so to:) The other girls who did it last year said that they were shadowing, but we'll see
    thanks anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

anci wrote: »
    Hi,
    Do you think reading about diseases, conditions and tests might be useful?

That's a good idea. Maybe get to grips with some common diseases.
    Diabetes, hypertension, cancers, depression, e.t.c.
    That website you linked is very good for basic descriptions. I often used in first year for PBL. :)
    I'm sure any large library will have the oxford handbook. It may be a tad detailed anyway.
    Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

You're not going to have to know anything doing work experience.

If you wanted, you could look stuff up after you've seen it. But just enjoy it, and take in what's happening around with you, without worrying about the specifics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

No need to prepare too much unless you want to for your own knowledge. Don't expect too much so as not to be disappointed. Just enjoy it and take in all thats going on around you!

Thanks everyone!
    It's not really only for the work experience, but if I like it, I'd like to work towards becoming a doctor. But even if I don't, I'll probably be able to use the knowledge at some point...

Advertisement