Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Third year arts: Greek & Roman Civ.

Options
  • 17-09-2010 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Is anyone else having trouble registering their modules? On my student administration they have four subject preselected for me with no option to change them :confused:

Do we only have five subject to choose from also? I was checking the book of modules and there only seems to be five, four of which are in semester one. Seems a bit weird?

Anyone else having difficulties?

Cheerszors

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Léan wrote: »
    Hey all,

Is anyone else having trouble registering their modules? On my student administration they have four subject preselected for me with no option to change them :confused:

Do we only have five subject to choose from also? I was checking the book of modules and there only seems to be five, four of which are in semester one. Seems a bit weird?

Anyone else having difficulties?

Cheerszors

When I was registering, only four modules were available. In the G/R Civ. department handbook there were two or three more modules; Pagans and Christians (in association with the History Dept.); something to do with 'travel writing' and an extended essay. Why these weren't up is beyond me.

Unless you call into the office and ask?

The lack of options as well as the choices have led me to change my degree from a Major to a Single. Choices this year are awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Yeah the choices are shocking, i've ended up doing; Late Roman History, God and Heroes, Alexander and Islam and Byzantium or something, which I really don't want to do.

I had no idea about the Pagans and Christians thing, I know i'm not entitled to the extended essay because Greek & Roman is my minor subject :(

Guess i'l be calling into the office tomorrow to see what the story is so :(

Léan wrote: »
    Yeah the choices are shocking, i've ended up doing; Late Roman History, God and Heroes, Alexander and Islam and Byzantium or something, which I really don't want to do.

I had no idea about the Pagans and Christians thing, I know i'm not entitled to the extended essay because Greek & Roman is my minor subject :(

Guess i'l be calling into the office tomorrow to see what the story is so :(

Dreadful stuff like. I'm doing Gods and Heroes and Alexander the Great too so you're not alone! Byzantium and Islam isn't such a bad course. It's manageable. Granted, the quality lecturing isn't great but the course content especially the rise of Islam is very interesting. There's one CA essay, you can choose your own title and an end of year exam. Not the best course but not the very worst.

Pagans and Christians is offered in conjunction with the History Dept. but why it wasn't available to register I don't know. When you're in the office ask for the 3rd year outline too, has all relevant details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

I think the new lecturer for Alexander is a guy called Sean. Great guy. He was my classics teacher for the leaving cert. One of the few still doing it.

Buceph wrote: »
    I think the new lecturer for Alexander is a guy called Sean. Great guy. He was my classics teacher for the leaving cert. One of the few still doing it.

Is that O' Sullivan? He lectures Byzantium/Islam too if so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

I'l have loads of questions ready tomorrow morning so! haha :)

Aye! He was my classics teacher too, great teacher! Some legend :)

Advertisement