Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance for EU driver?

Options
  • 17-09-2010 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I'm buying a car for the first time on a provisional licence (I'm female early 20s) and looking to get my boyfriend on the insurance as a named driver to help me out with learning. The problem is that even though he's got over 10 years no-claims driving experience, it's all in another EU country, and he's only been a resident in Ireland for two years. A lot of online quote systems won't even quote someone who's resided for less than three years, and the ones that do double the premium.

Does anyone know how to get around this somehow, or know of an insurance company that gives good quotes to EU citizens? I can't find any advice online, but surely someone had had this problem...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Probably best to call in, in person or ring them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

In 2007 I got insured by Hibernian on my EU licence.
    I wasn't resident in Ireland at all before, as I was coming here only for couple montha a year before that, so it's not a real residency. I had 5 years NCB collected prior to it in Poland.
    They made no problems at all. All obtained by online quote. Only what was worse, that they couldn't give me discount for not having penalty points, as on my EU licence I couldn't collect penalty points in Ireland, so they reckoned I could have some. They also asked for a proof of NCB transleted into English.
    Few months later I swapped my EU licence to Irish licence, and then I got discount for not having penalty points.

Advertisement