Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mink - Identification?

Options
  • 17-09-2010 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

I've been trying to identify an animal I've seen twice recently locally (in Cork) - about two foot long including tail, with thick black fur, similar shape to a weasel or stoat but bigger than I would have thought either to be (not that I'm an expert). After reading the following article
    http://www.irishexaminer.ie/ireland/warning-to-pet-owners-over-threat-from-mink-131010.html I now think they might have been mink, but obviously that's a wild guess. What are the best identifiers to look for, and are mink really as agressive as detailed in the article?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Undesireables by all accounts. (edit. Mink that is)

Did it have a white/creamy throat by any chance? Slightly bushy tail?
    Could be a Pine Marten. Population is recovering apparently. I've had the good fortune to see one in my garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

Couldn't see any other colour on it than just black. How big are pine marten?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Cat length. 68 cm from nose to tip of tail. Noticeable creamy throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

Could be alright - I wasn't in a position where I could have seen the throat. Population must be on the rise ok, I saw one run across a back road while walking and the other cross the main road just outside Cork airport while I was driving (wouldn't give much for life expectancy if it keeps on doing that though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I think the article is a bit OTT and is provoking unwarranted hysteria among general public, but there is little else to fault it. It has no place in Ireland.

I have free range hens beside stream. This stream is a natural corridor for mink and I have not lost any hens, and while I have moorhens and grebes, I've noticed less success in breeding compared to a few years ago.
    I dispatched 2 mink couple months ago and saw one a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sounds like a typical description of a Mink from a first time observer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 .223forme

you'd know a pine marten from a mink because its tail is noticably bushier and its a much more chocolate brown colour instead of black like the mink,,as for stoats you can safely rule these out as they're much smaller in size than the other two i.e similar size to a rat but longer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Here one I shot
    6946955022_deb2c2b62c_c.jpg
    Mink by carl cotter, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Lovely photo vandriver

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Nice photo alright
    Still need to rid this country of them though

• Advertisement
Advertisement