Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect Compliance Certificate for bank

Options
  • 17-09-2010 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

We are getting an extension built - due to start in the next couple of weeks. One of the loan conditions from the bank was the provision of a certificate of compliance from an architect at the various stages of construction.

I didn't think too much of this until I saw the form the other day - and the architect has to have professional indemnity insurance. The problem with this is - that the architect (brother in law) did the plans, planning permission over a year ago - and unfortunately is now unemployed - and does not have this insurance.

I have read some posting on here that explain why this cert is needed - and why the architect completing it would be reluctant to sign off if they are not involved in the build - so I'd just like to see if anyone out there has any guesstimates as to how much it would cost to get an architect to do this? Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,933 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The main thrust of certs going to the bank is to certify the value of the works done but there are a couple of small boxes to be ticked re compliance with pp and bldg. regs.

The main Cert of Compliance will be issued on completion and sent to your solicitor.

However Professional Indemnity insurance is required for all aspects of the project - stage payment certs and cert. of compliance upon completion. If you are lucky your brother in law's PI cover may still be still be active (if its in his own name - not a firm he worked for) so there is nothing to stop him from proceeding with the paper work so long as he is still insured.

However if he isn't covered by PI then he should be in a position to ask one of his colleagues who should be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

muffler wrote: »
    ...if he isn't covered by PI then he should be in a position to ask one of his colleagues who should be able to help.
    +1

He is bound to know someone who is covered by PI.

Regarding the cost: say 5 seperate inspections and drawdowns and a final Certificate of Compliance with planning permission and Building Regulations, €1,500.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

OP if you ring at least 3 experienced Architectural Technicians with PI cover, I'll bet you'll get 3 very competitive quotes.

As long as they inspect the construction work, they should have no problem issueing Certificates of Compliance. I'm sure your brother-in-law has some recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Thanks all for the feedback so far. Any recommendations (is that allowed on here?) for Technicians?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Recommendations are ok - by Private Messaging only .

You need to tell people where you are plates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Thanks sinnerboy - I'm in Dublin 16

Advertisement