Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

football??

Options
  • 17-09-2010 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

firstly i'm new to this and i couldn't find a thread like this so hopefully there isn't already one.:) im starting college in a few weeks and im looking for something to do in the evenings that involves exercise, geting fit and losing weight. im really thinking about football, im a girl, havnt played a sport in god knows how long and im quite unfit..

would i be stupid joining the football club as most of the girls on it would prob be playing since yay high and completely fit and just stick to going to the gym or should i join?:confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

diddlei wrote: »
    would i be stupid joining the football club as most of the girls on it would prob be playing since yay high and completely fit:confused:

Stupid - no.

Most, if not all clubs, would be very welcoming, to new players off all skill and fitness levels.

Whilst the gym can be great, both socially and physically you will get a lot out of a football/hurling/rugby/soccer club.

Seriously, don't worry and jump on in!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

diddlei wrote: »
    would i be stupid joining the football club as most of the girls on it would prob be playing since yay high and completely fitconfused.gif

Stupid - no.

Most, if not all clubs, would be very welcoming, to new players off all skill and fitness levels.

Whilst the gym can be great, both socially and physically you will get a lot out of a football/hurling/rugby/soccer club.

Seriously, don't worry and jump on in!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

agree..... go for it

i am coaching a ladies team and we have girls of all abilities. One girl just moved into the area and joined up about 6 or 8 weeks ago; to be honest she is way behind the other girls in skills etc. but she is getting stuck in and in fairness to the other girls they are making her welcome and she is really enjoying it. i think if you take it reasonably seriously and give a commitment to it you will be made welcome and get great enjoyment out of it!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

OP, maybe another option would be to see what local clubs are around the college if you find that the college club not right for you. I agree with what theoneeyedman said alright, about starting off and giving a commitment. I'm coaching as well but at under 14 level, had a girl start playing football this year, she gave the commitment and improved hugely, because she practised as well outside of training. Main thing is to give commitment and follow through on it!

Don't just go for one or the other, you can improve your fitness level by going to the gym as well as football training. I find it a motivation for going to the gym as well, to get fitter to play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 diddlei

thanks u guys, after giving me some encouragemant now to go for it. i'd def want to be doing extra outside of training as i played camogie before but just gave it up cos i was so ridiculously unfit (aswell as afraid of my life :rolleyes: ) but i was relying on one training session a week.. i should have been doing more outside of it..

• Advertisement
Advertisement