Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radon

Options
  • 17-09-2010 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭

I see the level of detection for this has risen. Just in case some people don't see the point of a radon barrier, read this...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0917/breaking15.html
    Nearly 600 homes across the Republic have been found to have high levels of cancer-causing radon gas so far this year.

This is the highest number identified in any period since the national radon measurement programme began, according to the Radiological Protection Institute of Ireland (RPII).

Radon is the second biggest cause of lung cancer after smoking and is linked to up to 200 lung cancer deaths each year in Ireland.

The rise in the number of homes identified is attributed in part to the fact that more houses have been measured this year than ever before.

A total of 4,296 homes were measured by the RPII for radon gas between January 1st and August 30th. Of these, 597 were above the acceptable level of 200 becquerels per cubic metre (Bq/m3).

Six homes in Lisdoonvarna, Clonmel, Ballymote and Tralee were found to have more than ten times the acceptable level with measurements between 2000 and 3500 Bq/m3.

The radiation dose to the occupants of the home with the highest radon levels were equivalent to receiving 4375 chest X-rays per year or 12 chest X-rays per day.

The institute said it is working closely with these householders to ensure successful remediation of their homes to reduce the radon levels and the risk to their health.

Fifty-eight homes measured had radon levels of between 800 and 2000 Bq/m3, and were found in Galway, Sligo, Kerry, Cork, Mayo, Waterford, Carlow, Clare, Tipperary, Kilkenny, Wexford and Wicklow.

The remaining 533 results had readings of between 200 and 800 Bq/m3 and were found throughout the country.

"These figures show us that thousands of families throughout the country are unknowingly living with very high concentrations of radon gas and therefore they have no idea that they are at increased risk of developing lung cancer," said the institute's chief executive Dr Ann McGarry.

“Homeowners need to take this matter seriously and measure radon levels in their home. It doesn’t matter if you live in a new or old house, in a high or low radon risk area, or even if your home already has a radon barrier. The only way to make sure that you and your family are not at risk is to test," she added.

Measuring for radon and, in the event of a high reading, reducing the levels present are both relatively inexpensive. To test for radon, one radon detector is placed in a bedroom and a second in a living room. The detectors are small and are sent and returned by post to the institute.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Yeah, it's on the local radio as well at the moment.

Just wondering how wise it is to seal up any older houses and install MHRV systems if the house did not originally incorporate a radon barrier?

Frightening stuff really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Radon is a real danger, particularly to Smokers! As the risk of lung cancer is increased in Smokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Is there a way of measuring radon levels on a site before building to establish the risk level?
    I understand certain geological conditions lead to a higher prevalence of radon?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

Is there a way of measuring radon levels on a site before building to establish the risk level?
    I understand certain geological conditions lead to a higher prevalence of radon?
    With a properly installed radon barrier, extraction pipework and sumps, and a predetermined number of extract points, there should be no danger from radon in a new build as once the gas is prevented from getting into the internal environment of the house it is harmless once it gets outside. My fear would be for existing houses where no radon barrier has been installed. It would make sense for all existing houses to be tested, or at least those in areas where a high radon levels is already established. The detectors are free but there is a small charge for the analysis, €60 last time I enquired What about the effectiveness of remedial measures, and their costs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 CWBS

I've done the test recently, and the average was 140 Bq/m³, which I think is a bit high, even though they say the National Reference Level is 200 Bq/m³.

The estate where I live is newish (built around 10 years ago), but everything in my house is so cheap and low quality... makes me wonder if the "builders" have really done anything to prevent those gases from invading houses in this area.

Two of our dogs died of cancer in the past 4 years, so now I'm kinda putting two and two together...

Now the question is: what to do if you get a measurement higher than the National Reference Level? Has anyone (reading this right now) ever had such result?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

Your house should have had a radon barrier installed CWBS, although it may be difficult to confirm this. However, the one thing that should be easy to identify is the terminal point for the extraction pipework. Once you find this it's possible to put a vertical extract pipe with a fan on top to extract from under the floor to reduce the levels further. The gas is harmless once outside, so it may have no link to your dog's deaths at all. You're well below the reference level aswell, but it might be no harm to follow up on the result with the RPII to put your mind at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

RKQ wrote: »
    Radon is a real danger, particularly to Smokers! As the risk of lung cancer is increased in Smokers.

*takes one more puff*

Yea, i built 10 years back, put the barrier in and the sump, so the capibilities of extractionwith a fan is there.

I think all houses now built in the last 10 years have it that way

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

CWBS wrote: »

Two of our dogs died of cancer in the past 4 years, so now I'm kinda putting two and two together...

Were they smokers?

Radon is apparently harmless outside, its when its trapped in a house its dangerous. Were they "house dogs"? or perhaps kept in a shed overnight?

Supertech wrote: »
    However, the one thing that should be easy to identify is the terminal point for the extraction pipework.

Hi, thanks for answering.

I took a picture of a pipe I always wondered what it was. It comes all the way from the ground, and it ends up above the roof. Is this the extraction pipework?

pipekm.th.jpg

Thanks!

There are several types of cancer. Radon is linked to lung cancer as is smoking. It is unlikely the dogs died from lung cancer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭YourAverageJoe

looks like a stack for the sewer pipe to me. i.e. to vent the smells from the sewer pipes so that they are not drawn into the house.

CWBS wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for answering.

I took a picture of a pipe I always wondered what it was. It comes all the way from the ground, and it ends up above the roof. Is this the extraction pipework?

pipekm.th.jpg

Thanks!
    No, that is a (SVP) Soil Vent Pipe to vent methane gas to the air from the sewerage system.
    The location of the radon outlet will be an orange (usually) circle flush with the footpath near the house wall, usually close to the rear door. If radon is detected in high doses in the house this cap is removed and a pipe similar to the one shown on your picture would be fitted and probably an extractor also fitted to extract the gasses from underneath the house on a regular basis.

looks like a stack for the sewer pipe to me. i.e. to vent the smells from the sewer pipes so that they are not drawn into the house.
    No, that is a (SVP) Soil Vent Pipe to vent methane gas to the air from the sewerage system.
    The location of the radon outlet will be an orange (usually) circle flush with the footpath near the house wall, usually close to the rear door. If radon is detected in high doses in the house this cap is removed and a pipe similar to the one shown on your picture would be fitted and probably an extractor also fitted to extract the gasses from underneath the house on a regular basis.

Thank you very much for the info. Tomorrow I'll be checking around the house for that circle flush.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,933 ✭✭✭✭muffler

snyper wrote: »
    Were they smokers?
    Someone call?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Radon is heavier than air, so it lingers at floor level like an invisible fog. Small house dogs would breathe at this level, so it is possible for dogs to get lung cancer. I see no reason why radon couldn't affect a dog.

Dogs have smaller lungs so radon could affect them quicker. Of course there is no way to confirm what type of cancer your dogs got, unless the Vet told you.

Existing homes were very draughty - this helped alieviate the problems of radon. The opening of windows and doors in the morning, even in winter would help flush out odours and radon. Air circulation is the key.

Housing estates were fitted with radon barriers for over a decade. The quality of installation would be important. I remember plumbers used to nail timbers to the radon barrier to support rad pipes prior to pouring the slab. I could never understand nailing into a gas proof membrane:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭mendel

Where can you get one of these radon detectors?

we are moving into an old house, so i would like to get an idea of what our levels might be

• Registered Users Posts: 45,933 ✭✭✭✭muffler

mendel wrote: »
    Where can you get one of these radon detectors?

we are moving into an old house, so i would like to get an idea of what our levels might be
    Here you go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Anyone have any experience of Digital Radon Detectors?

- 3 Months is a long time to be wondering if you have an issue :confused:

Advertisement