Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tolka oil spill

Options
  • 17-09-2010 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Just passed the Tolka at Clonliffe road D3. today, water is full of oil/Diesel coming from up river, have rang the EPA who said they check it out, it's been flowing steady for a good 15 mins!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

pic attached

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

thats a shame the tolka could be a smashing little river if it was not abused so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

What!! Must have been a farmer/accident :(

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

just passed back there still flowing strong, must be some leak from a tank or petrol station, the herons are not happy covered in that muck!:( thats a good hour since i first saw it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Wouldn't be too many farmers upstream of the tolka. I'd be very warey about calling it an accident too. Thinking about the course of the tolka I'm finding it hard to see where there may have been an accidental oil spill

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Could it be that petrol station on jone's road?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 diarmuidmac

noticed that myself at 12.50 and rang Dublin City Council who knew about it and said they were investigating :mad::mad::mad:

took some videos on iphone - not sure about quality - get them posted shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

this is a real shame,hope the corp do a good clean up and find the culprits

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TheoJebb

I know Im late on this thread, but Its happened again and not petrol, yesterday the river ran blue, a strange bright blue, and it smelt strange, dippers and kingfishers have just started nesting in the past week and I haven't seen either pair since saturday, no mallards or moorhens to be seen on the river either today. Its very worrying. I have cleaned the botanic gardens stretch of river voluntarily 4 times in the past 5 months of rubbish. The treatment of this resilient river makes me furious! A huge awareness problem and complete ignorance is dooming the river. I hope the people responsible for this latest environmental catastrophe are found a severely punished!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

I cant stand the constant barrage of polution on this river. has such potential. I was tempted to going back fishing it this year, but hearing this I dont think il bother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

with the way our rivers are currently managed are you really surprised at what has happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

with the way our rivers are currently managed are you really surprised at what has happened.
    your are right there.

Even the liffy in Dublin is a disgrace .

Just think what visitors see when they use Heuston station and look over the bridge at low tide. There are more shopping trolleys down there than Tescos.

A few days work would clean it.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

I think the pollution problem is more a social one.How many times have you seen people throwing their rubbish out the car window or onto the pavement as they are walking down the street' instead of just bringing it home and disposing of it properly.Until the public's attitude towards their local environment changes then nothing will change.

Advertisement