Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone up for a Folding contest?

Options
  • 17-09-2010 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

What do you guys think about holding a Folding event over a weekend?

I can get a Google spreadsheet up for signups and can have stats once the event is over. I should also be able to write out the guides for the Windows Folding clients (with HFM) tomorrow. Will probably go post a thread about it in the other Tech sections too. There's a Facebook page we can post it on too. :)

Anyone up for it? 2 days where we go all out and try and get the team's PPD as high as we can. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

Well, as promised, the SMP and GPU guides are up.

Really want some input on the name of this though... the "Boards Folding Event" seems pretty uncreative... :p

Bump.

24 hours bump.

I'm thinking the start of October; 12pm Friday to 12pm Sunday. Sound good, or too early in the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Not having taken part in one of these before, how is it managed? Do we report numbers in or are they taken from our stats pages?

I run the ones over at OCN, and what I do is I download the stats from Stanford at the start of the contest, and then again at the end of the contest. Then I run them through a program which will get the stats for every member who signed up.

I'll do sign ups using a Google Spreadsheet. :)

Aside from that, all you guys need to do is Fold as much as you can. I'll be around quite a bit if anyone needs a hand setting up clients, or optimising their current client (SMP client w/bonuses, opposed to the Unicore client, new GPU3 WUs instead of the old ones, etc).

• Advertisement

Alright, I'll be posting the contest thread tomorrow, even though we only got one reply. :p

I'll send out some PMs to the other members of the Folding team, see if they're interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Well, my boxes are on 24/7 anyway so sign me up for anything :)

I'll post the competition thread in an hour or two... I think the "Boards.ie Foldathon" would suffice as a name. :)

Posted:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68122257

I think 2 weeks should be enough time to get a fair few sign ups.

Will go send some PMs now. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

zodac wrote: »
    I run the ones over at OCN, and what I do is I download the stats from Stanford at the start of the contest, and then again at the end of the contest. Then I run them through a program which will get the stats for every member who signed up.

I'll do sign ups using a Google Spreadsheet. :)

Aside from that, all you guys need to do is Fold as much as you can. I'll be around quite a bit if anyone needs a hand setting up clients, or optimising their current client (SMP client w/bonuses, opposed to the Unicore client, new GPU3 WUs instead of the old ones, etc).

Zodac, just with regards to "running the stats"- what is compiled and how is performance measured? Is it simply the largest PPD or is it the biggest increase in PPD etc.?

• Advertisement

I download the stats file from Stanford at the start and at the end of the Foldathon. Then I run it through a script which gets the points difference for all members on a seperate list.

As for performance, yeah, we'll obviously compare stats, though I see this as more of an opportunity to pull in some more Folders... even if they're just Folding for the competition.

Advertisement