Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd rainbow

Options
  • 16-09-2010 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭

This chap hung about for about 20 mins. Is there a name on the kind of rainbow this is? I'm referring particularly to the light area contained to the left of the bow. At the time the light seemed more like a sunburst than just a lighter area.
    Apologies for bad pic by the way, it was a bit of a rush job from a place I parked the car.

4996993408_cf56a0059e_z.jpg
    Rainbow by Ronan O Keeffe, on Flickr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,072 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Nice pict,just another question,its not near a railway line that shot was taken? looks familiar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Nice pict,just another question,its not near a railway line that shot was taken? looks familiar.

Hi Oscar,

It was not near a line at all I'm afraid. Here's the Google Maps location. I was on the Old Tramore Road in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,072 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Thanks for that.will have a look now.a nice belt of rain in that shower too by the looks of it.

I know, I was heading for a swim out the coast and got caught in it.
    Call me old fashioned but I like getting wet in the sea, not before I get in it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Roen wrote: »
    I know, I was heading for a swim out the coast and got caught in it.
    Call me old fashioned but I like getting wet in the sea, not before I get in it :)

It is said one of the keys to a longer life is a daily swim in the Sea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

The lighter area to the left of your rainbow, is between the antisolar point and the rainbow and I've seen it described as the raindisk. It's caused by light being reflected once from the back of the raindrops, similar to the reflective beads on roadsigns and road markings.
    Explained well here: http://www.atoptics.co.uk/fz63.htm

Cheers Popoutman,

Was an unusual site alright.

Advertisement