Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

constructing chimney outside to accomodate stove

Options
  • 16-09-2010 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi all.

We intend to put a stove (just room heating) into our house. I intend to place the stove on a hearth with flue at the rear of the stove, pass this through a hole in the wall and up the size of the house.

I dont want the flue to be visible on the outside of the house, so we are planning to build a chimney on the outside of the house to effectively hide the flue so...........

1. is this as striaghtforward as it sounds?
    2. if the flue is 6" then what do the dimensions of the chimney need to be?
    3. Would it work that the flue would pass out through the wall and then rise immediately at a 90 degree bend?
    4. the house has HRV so is the stove with external air supply going to work ok

Any replies appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

These questions should be discussed in detail with your Designer / Certifier. Will this chimney require planning permission?
    mendel wrote: »
    1. is this as striaghtforward as it sounds?
    Yes, its as straightforward as it sounds. I've done it a few times.
    2. if the flue is 6" then what do the dimensions of the chimney need to be?
    Standard chimney dimensions. The chimney must support itself. I can not discuss "structural" elements.
    3. Would it work that the flue would pass out through the wall and then rise immediately at a 90 degree bend?
    It might work but the draw may not be great. IMO Better if you incorporate a 45 degree bend.
    4. the house has HRV so is the stove with external air supply going to work ok
    A stove with its own air supply, fixed via duct directly to the stove should be fine with HRV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭mendel

thanks for replies

We have the foundations in for a standard size chimney. Is it correct that the pipes for the chimney will have to be put in as it is being built?

If that is correct, is this again a standard setup or it is specific to the stove? (which has a 6" duct)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

We have the foundations in for a standard size chimney. Is it correct that the pipes for the chimney will have to be put in as it is being built?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭mendel

I appreciate the advice on this topic already given.

In order to correctly build this will I need to pinpoint the exact position of the wall opening before starting construction of the chimney?

Is there only one pipe the stove flue (which is 6") or is this inside of another pipe?

If the latter what is this outer pipe called?

Any help greatly appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

It realy depends on what you want.
    There are insulated flue pipes and single layer flue pipes. Different pipes for different purposes. If a stove with independant air supply is planned then an air supply pipe will be necessary as well. This could be placed in the chimney, paralel with the smoke flue.
    Check the actual demand with your stove installer, architect, civil engineer, energy advisor, builder ect...

Advertisement