Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swift nest box

Options
  • 16-09-2010 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

hi,was thinking of putting up a nest box for swifts on our hay shed, i checked on a few sites and they all said minimum hight 5 meters, the thing with our shed is that there's a lean to on the side i want to put up the box, the box will be over 5 meters off the ground but just 2 meters off the top of the joining roof, will this be a problem?, added a drawing to show what i mean

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

I know of swifts nesting in eves of an old stone-wall barn at height of ~2.2 metres. I don't know how successful they are - and they are adjacent busy enough road - but I never noticed chicks on the ground.

If the lean-to does not extend too far from shed then shouldn't get in the way. But if it is wide then there just may not be enough height in the 2m for inexperienced birds to build up enough speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mgwhelan

the roof is aprox 7 meters long, i looked up on the net how to build the box and found that you could have the entrance on the bottom or on the side, if i put it on the side they might'nt need such a sharp turn in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

mgwhelan wrote: »
    if i put it on the side they might'nt need such a sharp turn in

That is true but you will have more trouble with unwanted species (Blue Tit, Starling) unless the hole size & shape are fairly perfect.

LC

LostCovey wrote: »
    That is true but you will have more trouble with unwanted species (Blue Tit, Starling) unless the hole size & shape are fairly perfect.

LC
    All i can do is try and if that does happen at least something got a home out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

mgwhelan wrote: »
    All i can do is try and if that does happen at least something got a home out of it

Definitely try it, I was only pointing out a potential problem, and a reason to get a lot of advice on hole design. I have seen Swifts successfully nest and fledge young at or slightly below 4m. Go for it and let us know how you get on.

LostCovey

• Advertisement

LostCovey wrote: »
    Definitely try it, I was only pointing out a potential problem, and a reason to get a lot of advice on hole design. I have seen Swifts successfully nest and fledge young at or slightly below 4m. Go for it and let us know how you get on.

LostCovey
    Will do, thank's for your replies

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

I know of swifts nesting in eves of an old stone-wall barn at height of ~2.2 metres. I don't know how successful they are - and they are adjacent busy enough road - but I never noticed chicks on the ground.

If the lean-to does not extend too far from shed then shouldn't get in the way. But if it is wide then there just may not be enough height in the 2m for inexperienced birds to build up enough speed.

Apologies, but just for the record I double-checked that barn I mentioned and the eves are actually about 3m off the ground. I agree it's still worth a shot - if it's not suitable they won't nest and some other wildlife may move in.

Advertisement