Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tuition fees crisis

Options
  • 16-09-2010 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

i just registered today at ucc for first year. i did another course for two years and took a year out to stay at home with my son. i am going back now to start a new course. i have payed my registration fees and was told today i have to pay tuition fees of 4070. this was the first i heard of it, i received no information from the college before about it otherwise i would have reconsidered going back this year. i cant afford this right now as i'm paying for childcare as well. i need help??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

What help are you looking for, exactly?

Just some points to note:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 stumblina

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on my situation, not sure what kind of help to look for to be honest. I know about the subsidised creche services, i applied for it, haven't heard if i got it yet. but even with that i'd be paying €110 a week at the moment i'm paying €150.

thanks for your advice though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

stumblina wrote: »
    i have payed my registration fees and was told today i have to pay tuition fees of 4070. this was the first i heard of it,

This is taken from the fees section of the UCC website. http://www.ucc.ie/en/financeoffice/fees/StateGrantFreeFeesInitiative/

When are free fees not payable - Students ineligible?

Tuition fees will not be paid in respect of students pursuing a second undergraduate degree programme. Students who already hold a diploma or certificate and are progressing to a degree programme may be deemed eligible.
    Students who have previously pursued but not completed a third level programme and resume third level education are not eligible for funding for the equivalent period of previous attendance. Part-time and evening courses are included in this category.
    Tuition fees are not payable for students who are repeating a year, having failed their end of year examinations or as a result of changing courses

There is similar info on the HEA website http://www.hea.ie/en/student_finance and the Dept. of Edu. website. http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?maincat=&pcategory=10900&ecategory=19277&sectionpage=12251&language=EN&link=link001&page=2&doc=16888

You will have to pay tuition fees for 2 years (becuase you already availed of free fees for 2 years) and when you progress to 3rd year you should be eligible for free fees again.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

im in the same boat, have to pay €5720. Found out d week before last by chance on the phone. Taking out a loan myself

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

stumblina wrote: »
    i just registered today at ucc for first year. i did another course for two years and took a year out to stay at home with my son. i am going back now to start a new course. i have payed my registration fees and was told today i have to pay tuition fees of 4070. this was the first i heard of it, i received no information from the college before about it otherwise i would have reconsidered going back this year. i cant afford this right now as i'm paying for childcare as well. i need help??

Connorzee wrote: »
    im in the same boat, have to pay €5720. Found out d week before last by chance on the phone. Taking out a loan myself

Are those fees including the €1650 registration fee - maybe check if you would be entitled to the Back to Education allowance???

I know a couple of students who came back to do the degree I'm doing at the moment, and are paying about €8000 a year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

not including the €1650. Im on the BTEA alright

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Maybe check out UCC scholarships and grants for next year, I think if you get a first, you can qualify for a scholarship of around €1000, but I'm not sure if you would qualify if you are paying fees, but its an option to have a look at!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

Im getting fed up with these stories of how bad UCCs administration is- telling students they have fees on such short notice is just beyond ridiculous imo. Lot of people dont even know what classes they have coming up.

Dave47 wrote: »
    Im getting fed up with these stories of how bad UCCs administration is- telling students they have fees on such short notice is just beyond ridiculous imo. Lot of people dont even know what classes they have coming up.

Wait now - the OP had done another course, its not UCC's fault that the OP didn't know that you only get one chance to have a free education, through the Higher Education Authority. I would have thought it common knowledge that if you do two years of a degree, then drop out to do another degree that you will have to pay for the first two years!

I do admit that sometimes UCC admin can be bad, but the complete blame shouldn't be laid at their door in this instance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Wait now - the OP had done another course, its not UCC's fault that the OP didn't know that you only get one chance to have a free education, through the Higher Education Authority. I would have thought it common knowledge that if you do two years of a degree, then drop out to do another degree that you will have to pay for the first two years!

I do admit that sometimes UCC admin can be bad, but the complete blame shouldn't be laid at their door in this instance!

I agree with RB15. As per my earlier post, there's plenty info on the subject on the webistes of UCC, HEA & Dept. of Education.

The same rule applies to Local Authority grants - you don't qualify in a repeat year.

In fairness, if you were to get free tuition fees every time you decide you didn't like a course, or had to repeat a year, there would be no incentive to study! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

Of course but I don`t think you can just assume people know this when we`re talking 1000s of euro a year. I should point out also that I see this as just another example- there are much worse. I mean there are still problems with the timetables also- lecture on economics yesterday and no one showed up to teach the class!

Dave47 wrote: »
    Of course but I don`t think you can just assume people know this when we`re talking 1000s of euro a year. I should point out also that I see this as just another example- there are much worse. I mean there are still problems with the timetables also- lecture on economics yesterday and no one showed up to teach the class!

Maybe the Economics lecture you went to was not the Introductory Lecture.

Advertisement