Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crack in a window glass

Options
  • 16-09-2010 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Last weekend I've noticed a crack on my windows glass. Crack already consisted of 4-5 'branches' and was few inches long. Since then it grew constantly and now it's pretty much stretched to the whole area. It's an inner glass of the window. Check out the pictures below

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/6691/imag0009kl.jpg
    http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/5623/imag0012ic.jpg

Landlord examined this and said it looks like it didn't happen by itself and someone had to make an initial crack somehow, probably days ago. The crack was there, barely visible and then started to grow. Is there any chance you can confirm that just by looking at the pictures? I honestly do not remember anyone or anything hitting the glass during last weeks. I'm not saying that's not the case tho, accidents happen... but would be great to hear somebody's else input on the matter

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

nacho66 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Last weekend I've noticed a crack on my windows glass. Crack already consisted of 4-5 'branches' and was few inches long. Since then it grew constantly and now it's pretty much stretched to the whole area. It's an inner glass of the window. Check out the pictures below

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/6691/imag0009kl.jpg
    http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/5623/imag0012ic.jpg

Landlord examined this and said it looks like it didn't happen by itself and someone had to make an initial crack somehow, probably days ago. The crack was there, barely visible and then started to grow. Is there any chance you can confirm that just by looking at the pictures? I honestly do not remember anyone or anything hitting the glass during last weeks. I'm not saying that's not the case tho, accidents happen... but would be great to hear somebody's else input on the matter

Thanks

Do i see a few scratches on floor in front of it, like furniture, was their a couch or chair near it of late, maybe someone pushed into it. It does look like it got a smash from something.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭nacho66

I'll have a closer look when I get back home. However, this is not floor but a ledge, about 7-8cm high. We always keep pillows and few magazines on it. One would need actually to put a piece of furniture onto the ledge and then push to make such scratches. The only damage I could think off could be by hitting the ledge itself with a furniture, but this wouldn't explain the scratches. And I honestly don't remember such event. We live in two people and don't have parties on which such uncontrolled event could happen

Also, we're not first tenants in this apartment... I cannot say for sure if those scratches were or weren't there when we moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭braftery

Hi there,

The glass in that unit is laminated safety glass. the inner pane is made up of 2 thinner sheets of glass (probably each 3mm thick) and a clear sticky film between them.

Was anything lying against the glass .. particularly anything dark or black ?

if so the crack might have occured from thermal shock. The inner sheet of glass (on the inner pane) becomes warmer then the outer sheet. and can cause this kind of cracking.

Also this kind of crack can appear from a bang or a knock that did not occur yesterday or today .. but from several months ago. The crack wll start at the edge of the glass that is hidden behind the timber beading. The heat from warm evening sun will make this tiny crack grow bit by bit sometimes over months .. until eventually it appears from under the beading and keeps on growing.

Is this unit connected to a door if so .. slamming the door or sliding it closed hard .. can cause this kind of crack where the spacers are up against the glass.

In anycase while it is unsightly .. the glass will not shatter and fall out hurting anyone.

I hope this helps ....

Advertisement