Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoppier than a sack of Rabbits (recipe request)

Options
  • 16-09-2010 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

An American friend is getting married, and we're going to have a Stag Weekend down the country in a while. As an American, he really likes American style IPAs, and I'm thinking of brewing something for the weekend. I'm looking for an (extract) recipe that will produce something really hoppy.

Suggestions, please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

3-5kg of DME will get you in the gravity range, I like centennial hop (around 8-10% AA)

30 grams at boil 60 mins, 30 grams at 10 mins and 30 grams at flame out/boil end. You can also dry hop it to for more fresh flavour

Cascade is another common choice but may want a a differ hop for bittering or use double bittering compared to centennial or a mix of both hops for interesting effect

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭irokie

Cascade/Centennial seems to be the thing for the American hoppy IPAs.

Would you add any flavouring malts on that, or is that left as an exercise for the brewer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

irokie wrote: »
    Would you add any flavouring malts on that, or is that left as an exercise for the brewer?

You can goes just with the light DME or add to it by steer 250g of crystal malt, this will added a little bit of colour and some flavour

its pretty easy place to do, place the crushed crystal malt in a muslin bag (SEE PIC BELOW) or garin bag from a home-brew shop in around 3 litres of 60c water. If you can accurately check them temp it better to be on the cool side, as you are only extracting flavour from the crystal malt. Hand hot is around 50c to give you a good guide. Also make sure not to over fill the bag, as you want the water to diffuse through it

Let this diffuse for 10-20 minutes and gently pour of the liquid, don't squeeze the grain as this can start to extract unwanted tannins ans silicates.

Then add this liquid to the rest that is going to be boiled, easy as;)

steeping_grains.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭irokie

Brilliant thanks! I've steeped grains before - the brew that we bottled last week had some pretty wonderful grains in it before boiling.

Thanks for all your help!

Advertisement