Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Farming

Options
  • 16-09-2010 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I'm a young farmer taking over the family farm and i want to have all the up to date farming info. Is there any agricultural apps out there to download for free? Be handy to put the iphone to more use. I've a few bits of machinery on the yard that i want to sell hassle free so that i can pick up some more important machinery parts up such as a Ferri hedgecutter. Any advice???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

I'm a young farmer taking over the family farm and i want to have all the up to date farming info. Is there any agricultural apps out there to download for free? Be handy to put the iphone to more use. I've a few bits of machinery on the yard that i want to sell hassle free so that i can pick up some more important machinery parts up such as a Ferri hedgecutter. Any advice???

Not aware of any apps for iPhone, but must have a google, as thinking o getting one.
    As for seeling bits o machinery - see this thread - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056032937
    Donedeal is the answer to all your problems, well, some say anyways... ;)

Best o luck with the farm, and welcome to the boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thetangler

Hi
    The farmers journal have a free app out today must download it tonight.
    I find ms office handy but its not free.
    some good weather apps also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

thetangler wrote: »
    Hi
    The farmers journal have a free app out today must download it tonight.
    I find ms office handy but its not free.
    some good weather apps also.
    The weather apps might be good, but the actual weather ........ well sin sceal eile:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 youngfarmer

Thanks, will check out the IFJ app, could be very handy! Dad always used the IFJ classifieds and it never let him down so might as well stay with the auld reliable! Hear the IFJ is a monster today, must be cos of the Ploughing next week i'd say.

The weather is bad alright, hope it stays good for the Ploughing next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 farmer1

Hey,
    I am also a young farmer with an I phone. A farming app was definately badly needed as threir handy to look at when im out working. I downloaded the Irish farmers Journal app last night and find it really good.

• Advertisement

Very good! Farming is tough enough these days for us young lads! How do i download an app?? Only just getting used of iphone and haven't a clue?? Thanks a mil

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

The internet and the computer won't solve all your problems, only thing I will say is don't try and do everything at once, don't do too much work of a shot, build up your machinery, herd and facilities over time and good luck to you.

Very good! Farming is tough enough these days for us young lads! How do i download an app?? Only just getting used of iphone and haven't a clue?? Thanks a mil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Go to the app store app, click on search and type In Irish farmers journal and you should see it. Click on it then hit the free button which should dl it. Written on my iPhone and all!! Must download later.

Downloaded it last night, very nice!!! Also, got the IFJ last night, did ye see the size of it? Anyways, i found a ferri hedgecutter ad in the classifeds section and rang up the lad and going to have a look at it over the weekend, happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Please excuse my ignorance, I have heard of Iphones and 'apps' (I presume it stands for applications??)

But what will these farming apps do for one exactly??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Toplink

For any of ye looking for a decent Iphone cover that will protect the phoe whilst farming, I got the Otter Box during the week on ebay...

Nice and durable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Otterbox-Impact-Case-iPhone-3G-3GS-Otter-Box-/320447009557

Getting better use of the Iphone... let me see...

The camera is fierce handy on it, could be used for recording tag numbers maybe? Also the voice recorder on it could be put to better use. Again maybe used for tag numbers???

Possibly the GPS could have some use also but its only usefull if you have the 3G network in your area.

I think someone asked here already - is there any location based apps, using GPS?

Eg - one that would help me spread fertiliser evenly, or one that would map exactly how much ground is in a paddock?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Toplink wrote: »
    For any of ye looking for a decent Iphone cover that will protect the phoe whilst farming, I got the Otter Box during the week on ebay...

Nice and durable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Otterbox-Impact-Case-iPhone-3G-3GS-Otter-Box-/320447009557

Getting better use of the Iphone... let me see...

The camera is fierce handy on it, could be used for recording tag numbers maybe? Also the voice recorder on it could be put to better use. Again maybe used for tag numbers???

Possibly the GPS could have some use also but its only usefull if you have the 3G network in your area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqxUZtW45bE

That Otterbox gives good protection - see this clip for iphone taking some abuse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭ihatetractors

I think someone asked here already - is there any location based apps, using GPS?

Eg - one that would help me spread fertiliser evenly, or one that would map exactly how much ground is in a paddock?
    As in VRS, RTK? that's fairly pricey!!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Micheal H

I think he meant more along the lines of GPS apps for a smartphone, rather than a standalone GPS unit.

In which case there are a few decent apps available for iPhone and Android basic GPS utilities. None, that I would use as a guide for fertiliser application though, as the GPS chips in your phone just won't give the accuracy needed.

The best I have seen my phone get is an accuracy of about 5 feet, which is fine for getting approximate sizes for paddocks, but not so ideal for fertiliser. Unless you like stripey fields of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mantua

To be honest iphone apps aren't going to make you know everything about farming because their isn't a farmer in the country who knows everything about farming! Experince is the only way you will learn how to become a better farmer! Maybe try doing the green cert or something like it because soon enough all young farmers will be made do something along the lines of it to avail of schemes and grants!!
    Best of Luck!!:)

Micheal H wrote: »
    I think he meant more along the lines of GPS apps for a smartphone, rather than a standalone GPS unit.

In which case there are a few decent apps available for iPhone and Android basic GPS utilities. None, that I would use as a guide for fertiliser application though, as the GPS chips in your phone just won't give the accuracy needed.

The best I have seen my phone get is an accuracy of about 5 feet, which is fine for getting approximate sizes for paddocks, but not so ideal for fertiliser. Unless you like stripey fields of course!

Yep - GPS app for phone is what I meant as Michael says.

Yeah, I had a feeling the GPS wouldnt be accurate enough all right for the job after looking into it a bit. Altho 5 feet is better than what I though they were to be honest.

Yep - GPS app for phone is what I meant as Michael says.

Yeah, I had a feeling the GPS wouldnt be accurate enough all right for the job after looking into it a bit. Altho 5 feet is better than what I though they were to be honest.

5 feet would be the best case scenario. 7-12 feet would be the norm, and I've seen it as bad as 30 feet when it only has 3 or 4 satellites available.

The app I use is called Distance and Area Measurement. It's for Android, but I'm sure there's an iPhone equivalent.

There's also another one called GPS Test, which shows you the location of the GPS satellites overhead. No good for measuring stuff, but it kept me occupied on a few clear nights, spotting satellites zooming across the sky while I was waiting on a cow calving or sheep lambing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Is there an app out there which would give a fairly accurate land height? Would be useful for judging routes for drains...

just do it wrote: »
    Is there an app out there which would give a fairly accurate land height? Would be useful for judging routes for drains...

The app I mentioned earlier - GPS Test - has an altimeter, but again the accuracy can be unreliable. A tripod mounted laser level is what you need for that job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement