Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on engaging a builder?

Options
  • 16-09-2010 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi there - I have a holiday home in the north midlands which had a major leak in January. The insurance company have just paid out 80% of the cost of the building work and I want to start the work. They will pay out the remaining 20% when they inspect - however that inspection needs to be of the entire job done.

I had got a quote from a Polish builder and that's what the insurance payout is based on (he came through a recommendation and I saw his work and was very happy - for the insurance I just needed one quote) however this man has now returned to poland and I need to find another builder.

It's a big piece of work - it's a four bed house and all the internal walls floors and ceilings were water damaged, have to be replaced, insulation replaced, timbers treat for mould, then electrics redone, bathrooms put back in and then total redecoration.

Ideally as it's a holiday home and we're not on site I'd get one very reliable person to do/manage the whole thing: clearing the damage, re-plasterboarding, re-flooring, wiring, plumbing, redecoration. (I have a relation who can do tiling and carpeting so will give him that work but that is after all the heavy construction is done). (Am I living in fantasy land that this is posisble?)

I have recommendations now for three different builders and they are all hungry for the work. I'm looking for any advice on how to select a good one and manage them to get the best work - i've had a previously very bad experience with a builder so would welcome some advice.

My thoughts and questions are (and do I do it in this order):
    a) do I get quotes from all three based on a detailed/comprehensive list of exactly all the work that needs to be done and their pricing for each item
    b) visit a site they've done to see the quality of the work - what should I be looking for?
    c) when I engage them: what kind of contract do I need? how do I do that?
    d) how do I pay them? Staged payments? What's the best way? I'm not going to be able to pay the final 20% until after the inspection - how do I get the builder to do 100% of the job in advance (or do I borrow the money to pay the balance?)
    e) any other advice/hints or tips?

I'd welcome advice on this - if I'm in the wrong forum please redirect me.

Thanks

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

Ask for a list of at least 3 previous customers that he has done similar jobs for- contact them all.
    Ensure they all quote for the same items.
    Discuss how extras will be charged - and how the value of same will be determined.

Advertisement