Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sterilizing

Options
  • 16-09-2010 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

HI, ive 45 PET bottles from the coopers home brew kit to sterilize for bottling my second batch of beer, can anyone advise me on the best way to sterilize them? i rinsed them out after each use so i don't need to get rid of any sediment just sterilize!
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

30ml of bleach (non fragrant or the thick kind) to 19 litres of water and then added 30ml of distilled clear vinegar

This will make a no rinse sanitiser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 FUD MAN

OK and do i mix that solution together? heard something about chlorine gas! also do i fill up each bottle with the solution and shake or submerge the bottles? obviously i needn't rinse with cooled boiled water afterwards.

FUD MAN wrote: »
    OK and do i mix that solution together? heard something about chlorine gas!

Don't mix the bleach and vinegar add one to the water mix then add the other

FUD MAN wrote: »
    also do i fill up each bottle with the solution and shake or submerge the bottles? obviously i needn't rinse with cooled boiled water afterwards.

no just pour out the solution and bottle your cider

good man, thanks for the advice! did my brew last night just hoping there's not too much oxygen in the mix as i poured in almost twelve two litre bottles of water to get to the 23 litres, lot of air bubbles. tried to stir it out so heres hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

oblivious wrote: »
    30ml of bleach (non fragrant or the thick kind)
    Tesco do a "value" thin bleach, no thickeners, no smell & cheaper than bottled water!

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Tesco do a "value" thin bleach, no thickeners, no smell & cheaper than bottled water!

yep cheap stuff is usual the best

was just wondering, i won't be bottling till next wed or thurs so if i sterilized my bottles this weekend using the bleach and vinegar method would the bottles be ok till then? if so would i put the caps on the bottles or leave them off?

The issue is that people call it sterilisation, it just really good sanitisation as sterilization as its improvable, you just cant prove a negative!

You are really just reduce the bug number at the "sterilization "time to a level that wont reasonably effect you beer/cider etc, this would be best done near to time of bottling to give you the best advantage also this is also further compounded that bleach is rapidly broken down in the presence of organic matter and looses effective over time.

But people do, do it and something like Star San can remain effect for several day

Advertisement