Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Types of Dash Finish

Options
  • 16-09-2010 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

Okay folks, currently looking at types of dash for the back and sides of my build. The front is finished in Hallmark with granite quoins and sills. I also have the granite sills to the back but do not have quoins. Roof is just being completed and windows are due to go in in two weeks so house will be ready for dashing around then.

I was planning to go with wet dash but two plasterers so far are moaning about how hard it is to do and trying to put me off it. They are also syaing it'll be harder to do because the sills and Hallmark chimneys will have to be covered and there's alot of work in that.

However, I was planning to go with it as I don't like dry dash (bits falling off, don't think it'd suit the Hallmark etc.). I also thought about a smooth knap finish and then paint white but I don't want to have the inconvenience of painting every couple of years. From what I've seen, the wet dash needs alot less maintenance than painting.

Anyone have any types of dash finish they'd suggest? Pictures would be appreciated if anyone has any. Any help is also appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaleRider

Go for the wet dash, it will last longer, may not have to paint it for years. I believe 8mm - 10mm White Limestone Chips best. Try to use white sand in mixes, that's if you want it White. Get the plasterers to use plenty of lime and white cement. The 8mm - 10mm Chips will give new modern finish, but will look great. Larger chips will also give an older look. Covering will be the a big job, but you could use 500 gauge plastic with duct tape. Go for it you won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kizzyf

I'd like to see images too. Considering different dash finishes at the moment but can find very little online.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

PaleRider wrote: »
    Go for the wet dash, it will last longer, may not have to paint it for years. I believe 8mm - 10mm White Limestone Chips best. Try to use white sand in mixes, that's if you want it White. Get the plasterers to use plenty of lime and white cement. The 8mm - 10mm Chips will give new modern finish, but will look great. Larger chips will also give an older look. Covering will be the a big job, but you could use 500 gauge plastic with duct tape. Go for it you won't regret it.

I want it white so that it contrasts to the grey Hallmark on the front of the house and the black windows we're going to have.
    Have you any pictures of houses completed with 8mm to 10mm white limestone chips?
    Another finish I was thinking of (and that was recommended before on here and that another plasterer recommended) is a white plaster finish, using white sand, lime and white cement, it gives you a chalk white finish.
    I was told it would last ten years before needing painting. What would you think of this finish?

Not a thing wrong with it, however use Lime in the mixes. I am a firm believer in these finishes. Both are good, try to get Tradesmen that have pride in their work. Interested in what you want, and willing to do their best. Good Plasterers will be more than willing to source the best of materials, for your Job. Good Scaffolding will play it's part.

PaleRider wrote: »
    Not a thing wrong with it, however use Lime in the mixes. I am a firm believer in these finishes. Both are good, try to get Tradesmen that have pride in their work. Interested in what you want, and willing to do their best. Good Plasterers will be more than willing to source the best of materials, for your Job. Good Scaffolding will play it's part.

Cheers for the info. Would the white sand, white cement and lime mixture be a bit easier to plaster for the plasterer?
    Would it suit the grey Hallmark?
    I presume it'll look something like white k-render. I've been warned off k-render by a few people before its suggested!

• Advertisement

I have to admit I'm not good with colours, but you cannot go wrong with White. When Plasterers work on the outside of a building, they are aware that this work has to last, Frost, Driving Rain, Sun, etc. Therefore Mixing, and materials are important. Anyway you are on the right track. Have plenty of clean water available. Take a few photos for me.

Saw a dry dash at the weekend that we really liked but plasterer has advised that stone for a dry dash could cost 80e to 100e a bag and we'd need a fair bit to cover the back and side of the house (3300 square foot in size).

It's looking like the white sand, white cement and lime at the minute. I've been advised it'd be the cheapest finish and that we could paint it if we don't like it.

The plasterer recommended monocouche but it'd be twice the cost of the white sand, white cement and lime and also its a white finish we want so the white sand, white cement and lime will give us that.

As I said, if we didn't like the finished product, we could always paint it and it'd probably end up cheaper than the monocouche or other finishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 msft

We are considering the same thing at the moment but on a new build.
    We have been told the white sand, white cement and lime mix, while it does not let as much water in, it does not allow the moisture in the block to breath out.
    We have been advised to use a Polymer Cement Render, as it is higly waterproff but allows the block to breath out when wet from ground moisture.

Any ideas if I can use a polymer cement render and still use the white sand to get the right look?

msft wrote: »
    We are considering the same thing at the moment but on a new build.
    We have been told the white sand, white cement and lime mix, while it does not let as much water in, it does not allow the moisture in the block to breath out.
    We have been advised to use a Polymer Cement Render, as it is higly waterproff but allows the block to breath out when wet from ground moisture.

Any ideas if I can use a polymer cement render and still use the white sand to get the right look?

Mine is a new build also. Why are you using a render and then the white sand, white cement and lime mix?
    I'm just planning to go with the white sand, white cement and lime mix on its own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 msft

forgive me I am learning.
    I was realy asking if I can use the polymer additives with the white sand and cement mix, the same way as the grey mix?
    But my understanding is render = sand, cement, hydrated lime and water.
    Polymer White Render = white sand, white cement, hydrated lime and water with polymer additives.
    Does anyone know if this can this be made up like 'normal render on site' or does it have to be a premade render in a bag, where you just add clean water?

• Advertisement

I've been warned off the white sand and white cement now. Told it can go 'green' and discolour very quickly. Think I'm just going to go with a smooth plaster nap finish and then paint. It looks like the safest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭secman

Our white sand, cement, lime finish is up over 4 years now, still looks very fresh. The houses that we went to look at before we opted for this finish were done 5 to 6 years ago, happened to drive by one of them last weekend, it still looks very fresh. They would def be on 2nd painting by now if grey finish was applied. Thats a lot of paint and time ! And thats if a 1 coat job would suffice .

Secman

secman wrote: »
    Our white sand, cement, lime finish is up over 4 years now, still looks very fresh. The houses that we went to look at before we opted for this finish were done 5 to 6 years ago, happened to drive by one of them last weekend, it still looks very fresh. They would def be on 2nd painting by now if grey finish was applied. Thats a lot of paint and time ! And thats if a 1 coat job would suffice .

Secman

Hi Secman,

I sent you a pm on your finish. Would you be able to reply to me on it?

Advertisement