Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

C# for the absolute beginner cd

Options
  • 15-09-2010 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently borrowed the book "C# programming for the absolute beginner"
    from my local library. The cd is missing from the book and most of the examples are on the cd. Does anyone know where to get a cd? If someone has it could they send a copy?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Under the licence, surely you would not be allowed to keep the content after you return the book.
    Many of the books have a URL to get the code IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭MrDarcy

OP visit www.asp.net, get your hands on MS Visual Web Developer 2010, create a new project, play around with the ASP.NET toolbox, drag a few labels, textboxes, buttons, etc onto a page then go into your codebehind page and you can start learning C# straight away.

Also the video tutorials on www.asp.net have the souce code for the project under discussion available for download... The resources on the web are a really good starting place I think for learning C#...

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Darkphenom

kbannon wrote: »
    Under the licence, surely you would not be allowed to keep the content after you return the book.
    Many of the books have a URL to get the code IIRC.

This series does not seem to have a website with code availible to download.
    Anyway, some very 'smart' person took out the cd and never put it back. The book is hard to understand without the cd and i would leave the cd into the book when i return the book to the library.

MrDarcy wrote: »
    OP visit www.asp.net, get your hands on MS Visual Web Developer 2010, create a new project, play around with the ASP.NET toolbox, drag a few labels, textboxes, buttons, etc onto a page then go into your codebehind page and you can start learning C# straight away.

Also the video tutorials on www.asp.net have the souce code for the project under discussion available for download... The resources on the web are a really good starting place I think for learning C#...

Thats all well and good but I like this book and I need a cd for it.(or just the code)

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

Just to cover the basics - did you discover when you got the book home that the CD wasn't there or did you ask about it in the library and they said twas nicked?

I haven't used a library in a while but seem to recall that extra materials such as discs were kept behind the counter to stop them being pilfered from the book when on the shelf and you generally had to ask for it when taking the book out.

Though of course I may be mistaken - that happened once...

• Advertisement

Codpeas wrote: »
    Just to cover the basics - did you discover when you got the book home that the CD wasn't there or did you ask about it in the library and they said twas nicked?

I haven't used a library in a while but seem to recall that extra materials such as discs were kept behind the counter to stop them being pilfered from the book when on the shelf and you generally had to ask for it when taking the book out.

Though of course I may be mistaken - that happened once...

I will check the library although i do have a book out on C++ and there is a cd in that book. I think someone nicked it, but I could be wrong (I will check).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭MrDarcy

Well OP here's your first C# lesson:

if(LibraryBookCD.Location != InBackofBook)

{
    foreach(Public.Library.InDublin)

{
    Check to see if another copy is available that does have the CD
    }
    }

If(CDItem.IsUnavailable.InDublin)
    {
    Check the website for the book to see if data can be obtained there
    }

else

{
    You're going to have to buy the book if you are that attached to it.
    }

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

tsk, use the [code]...[/code] tags :p
    if(LibraryBookCD.Location != InBackofBook)
         {
         foreach(Public.Library.InDublin)
              {
              Check to see if another copy is available that does have the CD
              }
         }
    If(CDItem.IsUnavailable.InDublin)
         {
         Check the website for the book to see if data can be obtained there
         }
    else
         {
         You're going to have to buy the book if you are that attached to it.
         }

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ikoonman

The net has more than enough samples and tutorials and TBH if you need a CD to understand the content of the book then i think you need to get a different book.

If you need help just PM me.

Advertisement