Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why only Mallards on canals?

Options
  • 15-09-2010 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

Why don't more different kind of ducks use the Grand/Royal Canal in Dublin?
    If there's several species of birds to be found of the canal (Cormorants, Little Grebes, gulls, moor hens, mute swans..others I'm forgetting) .. why aren't there several types of ducks using the canal?

Is it to do with Mallards being the most adjusted to heavy urban environments?
    Is there more of a variety of ducks on the canal outside of city centres?

Just wondering.. :rolleyes:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭stevensi

Hi,

I think the canals in the city centre would not attract many types of ducks besides Mallard and some tufted ducks who seem oblivious to humans unless of course they get some bread from them. I think another reason is that canals are quite narrow and so there is always the fear of predators getting to them. Go to a lake and the ducks tend to stay out in the middle of the lake and that of course makes a lot of sense to protect them from land predators such as fox or mink etc.

Also most of the duck species we get here tend to favour the sea or brackish lakes close to the coast. But that is not to say that if you keep your eyes out a rare duck may turn up on the canal one day...that's the joy of birding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

These Ducks are semi domesticated. Many of the Mallard on our Urban waters are captive bred and released by local environmental groups or gun clubs.

Also, different duck species have different feeding requirements and canls suit Mallard and Tufted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Thanks stevensi and srameen.
    I love asking a question on these boards and getting the answer..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

These Ducks are semi domesticated. Many of the Mallard on our Urban waters are captive bred and released by local environmental groups or gun clubs.

Also, different duck species have different feeding requirements and canls suit Mallard and Tufted.

Gun clubs actually breed ducks? Makes sense I suppose, but does this really happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

MB Lacey Head out to sandymount strand (winter) for some Red breasted merganser, goldeneye and shelduck. You can get close views especially if you have telescope.

• Advertisement

Gun clubs actually breed ducks? Makes sense I suppose, but does this really happen?

No! I just made it up. I always come on here to mislead!:rolleyes:

Yes, it happens right across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

No! I just made it up. I always come on here to mislead!:rolleyes:

Yes, it happens right across the country.

No need to get smart, I was genuinely surprised is all.

Fair enough but "does this really happen" suggested more than surprise. But, fair enough.

Advertisement