Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registration an all day thing?

Options
  • 15-09-2010 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

So I'm supposed to be registering tomorrow, but I can't find anywhere what time we're supposed to do it at.

Would it start at 9am and continue through the day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Yes, it starts at 9am in the Boole Basement. There'll be a few talks, then you'll meet your "peer supporters" who'll be helping you for that day (and they'll be around for all of first year if you ever need any assistance/support).

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ditzyfitzy

Starts at 9 but really you don't need to stay all day! Just stay until u get the picture taken for your student ID & then you can leave! You can collect the ID after in the admissions office! :)

Yeah, but it's better to stay around. I know it can be boring but, look, you'll have a better chance of making friends and settling in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Yeah, but it's better to stay around. I know it can be boring but, look, you'll have a better chance of making friends and settling in.

This is good advice OP. It's best to stay with it. You'll know the college and have a good start. You might meet a couple of people too.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ditzyfitzy

This is good advice OP. It's best to stay with it. You'll know the college and have a good start. You might meet a couple of people too.

Usually there's students from more than just one course registering at the same time. People you meet on registration day is might not be in your course!

I left half way through my registration day & I was fine! You'll get used to the college & find your way around in no time! The tours & all the rest just take ages & most of the time you are standing around waiting for the group infront of you to move on!

Registration day I wouldn't stay but make sure you go to all your lectures (at the beginning anyway!) this way you'll get to know people in your course (not only great craic but handy for notes too ;) ).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭December

That's the understatement of the year! :D IMO it was so incredibly boring and unorganised. -.- Our group stood around doing nothing for the majority of the day, thank the heavens it wasn't raining! And our campus tour was a joke - consisted of walking to the student common room, having a quick look out the gate onto college road and then a walk around the quad!! I accomplished more by myself in 30 minutes (signed up for mardyke and registered my laptop among others things). :p

Heh, and did anyone else get assaulted by the linebackers in blue BOI t-shirts after they registered? I seriously thought they were gonna tackle me if I didn't sign up!

Anyhoo suppose cant expect much with the amount of ppl there today... although I did think they'd be some cool workshops (or something) for the computers and maybe a library tour. Hopefully that'll be on next week. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Sounds like you had a fucking rubbish guide!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

were we meant to stay as a group? Oops. My mentoring thing to ages, so me and my friends were walked over to the library, where we joined a tour, but that was boring so we just ****ed off and got food. Hung around the campus for a while, went and registered (The BOI lady was very disappointed when I insisted I didn't want to sign up) and then went to the lecture about our course. we went home then. I don't think we missed much tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

if i already have my modules and subjects picked do i need to be there at 9 or later?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jreanor

Connorzee wrote: »
    if i already have my modules and subjects picked do i need to be there at 9 or later?

• Advertisement

Sounds like you had a fucking rubbish guide!

This, really. The quality of the peer supporters is extremely variable. In fairness, they are only volunteers so you can't demand too much.

But some don't really care at all; it's just for the CV and so on. I, myself, was actually interested in getting these people settled, and I took it as a personal compliment when, after the day had ended, I saw a group of my first years hanging out together without me there forcing them to so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

This, really. The quality of the peer supporters is extremely variable. In fairness, they are only volunteers so you can't demand too much.

But some don't really care at all; it's just for the CV and so on. I, myself, was actually interested in getting these people settled, and I took it as a personal compliment when, after the day had ended, I saw a group of my first years hanging out together without me there forcing them to so!

When I first joined peer support I wasn't fully aware of the work involved, Yes, It might not sound good but I was just looking for something on the CV cause mine is so crap and I'd do anything to improve it.

After the training though I was actually excited and looking forward to helping first years out, I was pleased( the same as you ) to see them chatting to each other at the end of the day, And it showed that me and the rest of my group obviously did a good job throughout the day and although it was pretty hectic for some of it, I tried to keep as many people around for the day and get them chatting.

Your view on some of them being there for the CV might be true, But any of the peer supporters I saw were doing the best job they could, I also think it comes down to if the person is linked with the group or not.

On the day I was linked, Me and the other linked person put a lot of work in, Getting people chatting etc. The others(helpers) helped out, but weren't doing as much, due to the fact they weren't linked.

On the other day when I wasn't linked, I was still helping, But the person who's linked really had to take control of the day as at the end of it, They'd be the one emailing/texting them throughout the year.

I think everyone in the Peer Support tried their best, But a lot were only beginners, No amount of training will prepare you, Personalities differ and that might make your day tougher/easier. The only way to improve is from experience. I'd happily do this for the next 2 years of my course.

I didn't intend this post to be as long as it is! :pac:

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Your view on some of them being there for the CV might be true.

Well, it is true, because they told me so themselves! But I'm not judging them because of it: they still gave five or six days voluntarily to the university and that, of course, is great. The only reason I brought it up was to say that if someone has had a bad day with peer support (particularity the campus tour) that their experience is not indicative of the program itself and that they shouldn't discourage other people from going on orientation.

In fairness, you and I probably had a tougher day than most because we were on Tuesday, what with the mentoring malarkey and all that, so we should be happy with ourselves, I think. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

I found the peer support people were quite good actually. I wasn't really expecting too much but I did make friendly relations with a few people which was great. But overall I found the day to be rather tedious (partly credited to a terrible hangover) and pointless. Most frustratingly none of the information that was of real importance such as time-tables and initial lecture times were easily available. This is quite worrying as the ucc website is such a mess and frankly, it's quite hard to find anything on there unless you're quite determined. I can't help but feel that there's going to be a myriad of first years starting on Monday who aren't going to have a clue about their lecture times.

Apart from that everything was amicable. God bless the poor woman who gave us our library tour though, she was so very unintentionally hilarious. Avoid overly-passionate and zealous librarians like the plague! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Aoi

I thought ours was pretty good, our leader took a lot of interest. He even brought us out that night, that's dedication for you. I'd say he was getting free drinks & entry though. I enjoyed orientation, and since we were put in smaller groups, there was no choice but to talk to other people. Especially since, as we were arranged alphabetically, we're probably going to have labs and tutorials with the people in the groups.

Advertisement