Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy scared of leaving house on lead

Options
  • 15-09-2010 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I got a puppy a couple of months ago and she's about 12 weeks old now. I started walking her a few weeks ago, just trying to get her used to the lead rather than going any distance. If I bring her somewhere, in the car, she's fine. A bit nervous maybe, if there's someone with me she won't move if she can't see them for a second but generally things are fine.

However, if I try to leave from my house, walking, she will NOT move. Sits, and refuses to move. I tried dragging a bit but it didn't get us anywhere. So I pick her up, walk for about ten mins, put her down and after a few minutes, she'll sniff around and start walking. However, she seems to need to go in the direction of home, and once we reach the hill that leads down to the house, she refuses to go any further.

I know patience is needed, but am I doing the right thing? I try to coax her gently and be patient but it doesn't budge her. Neither does bringing treats.

I got her a harness which she doesn't seem to mind and she doesn't seem to be bothered by the lead at all unless, like I said, we're walking away from the house.

Advertisement