Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boots and riding Gear

Options
  • 15-09-2010 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Right heres the deal I want to get back into Horse Riding I did it for a couple of years and loved it when I was younger. Today I up to the equestrain Society in the College and Im looking for a recommendation for boots and a helmet. For the Boots I'm kinda looking for a shoe style as I personally found the long wellie type boots Tight and uncontrolable. Could steel cap boots or builder boots be used as a temporary measure I presume I cant ride a horse in runners?.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Horsemania

Hi, no I would not reccommend runners for riding, You could buy jodhpur boots and chaps, loads on e-bay, some with steel toe caps, I could not say which brand for boots cause they are all pretty good just again depends on what style you want and what you want to pay. For the hats just make sure that they have the safety standards PAS015 and EN1384. The Champion or Gatehouse hats are very good, but the prices on these vary, and some are expensive. Hope this helps you.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

I have Mountain Horse steel cap boots and I LOVE THEM! its my second pair, I wear them 7 days a wk and they put up with a battering. there dead comfy too. they are a lil wider then ur normal short boot but i really wud say to give em a go i cant fault them at all! I wear Tredstep pro gaiters with them and there is nothing that wud change my mind about them!
    And I jst bought the Caldene Ultra riding hat, no more sweaty head! its deadly and super light. Very pro looking:D
    Hopes that helps:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I wouldn't wear builders boots that arent designed for riding when riding. I'm not sure but I would imagine that they would catch easier on the stir-up because they are that bit bigger.

You should be able ta pick up a decent hat and short/ jodhpur boots for a good price if you shop around but quality is pricey. Maybe start with a standard helmet to begin with before looking for something fancier. Just until you get back into it at least :)

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Conor_M1990

Thanks everyone for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

i woukdnt recomend riding in runners, although i do all the time, cus the boots i bought specially fop riding out cost 270 sheets, and id be afraid id ruin em.
    been known to ride up the gallops in runners on occasion too.
    i do not recommend it tho

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

You can get a pair of jodhpur (short) boots for around 40 euro, and a pair of half chaps for 20 upwards so for less than 100 euro you'd be able to get a good pair of boots and half chaps.

As for the helmet, I'd recommend getting a skull cap rather than a riding cap as the latter isn't permitted for cross country (I'm thinking long term, here). The tack shop where you buy the hat will show you the difference, and Horsemania has mentioned the safety numbers that are permitted for cross country. Make sure your hat is properly fitted, too!

You can often pick up quite a lot of good second hand gear quite cheaply. Adverts.ie (sister site of boards.ie) often has a lot of equestrian related gear on offer. However, while second hand boots, gloves, etc. are ok, I'd be a bit wary of buying second hand helmets. If you do go down the route of buying online, try and see the helmet before you buy it and check if for any cracks, weaknesses, damange, etc. which would make it unsuitable.

As mentioned above, riding in runners or builders boots isn't really to be advised as they aren't designed to slip out of the stirrup if/when you get a fall.

Best of luck!

Advertisement