Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with skimcoat plaster...

Options
  • 15-09-2010 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    Just wondering has anyone come across this problem I had using skimcoat plaster. Converting an attic at the moment and plasterboarded and skimmed the room without any issue. While skimming the landing area I layed on the 1st coat and 2nd coat and then gave it the 1st trowel without any issue. After leaving it dry a little I gave it the 2nd trowel and found the surface of the plaster peeling off in areas, tried adding more water to it but made no difference, as did dry trowling. Never came across this issue before with skimcoat, has anyone else and does anyone know what might have caused it? I'm thinking it may be just a dodgey bag but maybe not. Any answers would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Are you using bonding with it? You say 1st coat & 2nd coat?
    Anyway, presuming its not your first time plastering, its possible the stuff is out of date or was stored wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

No I dont use bonding with the skimcoat and its not my 1st time plastering. When I say 1st and 2nd coat I mean that I spread it on the wall, smooth it out, then by 2nd coat I mean going over it and filling in the hollows. It was probably gone off and that caused the plaster to peel as it was starting to dry. Solution to smooth the wall would probably be sand it rather than give it another coat I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Ive never come across this problem,when plaster is out of date, it generally goes off too quick, there is no set time rule with skim as its a natural product and can vary in time it sets. To me its a bonding issue.

Im going to have to guess either that there wasnt enough water in the skim initally, or perhaps you let the first coat go off to much before the second coat and this would cause the second coat to pull off the first in parts when rubbing it on. Do you use a steel trowel or a pvc one for the second coat? (the older school plasterers use wooden or pvc for the second coat which is called ""filling in the fat"")

There is a new product available i seen, that you paint on first and when dries is like a fine sandpaper on the wall so gives the skim a better surface to adhere to

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

There was definitely enough water in the skim when mixed, it could possibly be that i let the 1st coat go off too much before i applied the 2nd coat, yeah, I think that could've been it because it did harden pretty quickly come to think of it. I always use a steel marshaltown trowel, never heard of the pvc ones. Its only one or two patches where the skim peeles away so sandpaper will smooth it out I think.

Advertisement