Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning permission

Options
  • 15-09-2010 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hi, Is planning permission required if you want to remove a foot high wall ( be it loose stones, lumps of rocks, plastered wall etc)about 20 meters long, and replace it with a new fence on a new laneway ( along the length of where the stones are located) to a new house. The wall is serving no purpose as there is allready an electric fence to hold back cattle and a fence would serve as an extra barrier in the prevention of their escape. It is not affecting any other residents or anything. Thanks. Also if i was to remove a 3 foot high plastered wall at the front of my house onto a quiet public laneway, would i need planning permission for the removal of this wall or if i left a meter or two of it in place and replaced the rest with a wooden fence would i not require planning. Allot to be taken in here, haha, any replies greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

As far as I'm aware, you should be ok and should not require planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Are the existing fences within your ownership? is there shared ownership? The wall at the front of the house, was it put in place as part of a planning application? Are both fences within the curtilage of your dwelling house?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Are the existing fences within your ownership? is there shared ownership? The wall at the front of the house, was it put in place as part of a planning application? Are both fences within the curtilage of your dwelling house?

Hi Uncle Tom,
    No, the existing fences are not in my ownership but I have spoken to the farmer about the wall, and he is more than happy for me to dig it up and put a new fence in it's place as it will benefit him as much as me. The wall is running parallel between him and the little lane way i have going up to my site. "The wall at the front of the house, was it put in place as part of a planning application?" That i don't know as it's an old house built long before i was born, but people ( my granparents) stilll resides in it. "Are both fences within the curtilage of your dwelling house?" The fence i want to erect is nowhere near the house, it's the opposite side of the road at the side of the house, but the front wall is in the area map for the house.
    Hope this makes things a bit clearer, looking forward to hearing from you

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

From the information you have given:

I consider that to remove a foot high wall ( be it loose stones, lumps of rocks, plastered wall etc)about 20 meters long, and replace it with a new fence on a new laneway ( along the length of where the stones are located) is exempted development under Class 11, Part 3 as it is part of a farm.

I see to remove a 3 foot high plastered wall at the front of my house onto a quiet public laneway, would i need planning permission for the removal of this wall or if i left a meter or two of it in place and replaced the rest with a wooden fence as coming under Class 5, Part 1 with the associated limits.

But, these are just my opinions and I haven't seen the works. You need to get this checked out on the ground. It is well worth getting a good local Architectural Technician to check over these for you on the ground and to give you this opinion on paper to protect all involved, it shouldn't cost a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,867 ✭✭✭✭muffler

But, these are just my opinions and I haven't seen the works. You need to get this checked out on the ground. It is well worth getting a good local Architectural Technician to check over these for you on the ground and to give you this opinion on paper to protect all involved, it shouldn't cost a lot.
    Good, sound advice.

Id agree with this :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement